Fuel Gauge Issue

Tooks

Reaction score
Ok, got another little issue with my car.

Basically, the fuel gauge seems to have a mind of its own.

Parked up last night, 1/4 tank showing, roughly 90 showing on the DIS fuel range display. Started off this morning, nearly full showing on the gauge (I hadn't added fuel!), but DIS range showing the same.

Filled up later today as DIS range had been counting down to 0 as normal, fuel gauge showed over full, ie right over to the far side as far as it will go. DIS range showing 410...

I've noticed with the ignition off, the fuel gauge needle still says approx 1/2 full, it should be zero shouldn't it?

So, do the gauge and DIS fuel range take info from the same sender? I understand there are two in the B6?

Do I suspect a faulty gauge/dash module, or could it still be sender related?

Any ideas?! :blink:

i reckon its the gauge! i have vauge memorys of someone else with this problem! and when i say vauge i mean vauge! so its proberbly a waste of time me replying to this thred! but as no one else has i didnt want you to feel left out! lol

Lol! Thanks!

Ok, just driven home from work, and although initially the gauge was still reading way past full, over the course of the 1 hour journey the gauge has slowly returned to reading something like I would expect it to be after covering 110 miles. The DIS range has been consistent throughout, so at least I can rely on that, and the overall distance i've covered on a tank to decide when I need to refill.

When I turned the engine off, the gauge returned to zero as it should do...

So, looks like it is back to normal now. :blink:

Another endearing quirk of my car, or is it the precursor to doom and gloom?!

Is it possible to replace the fuel gauge on its own by the way?

Last edited:
it is possible, i know because i have done mine. however they are not available to buy on there own from audi. I took mine from a donor dash pod and swapped over it is really easy to do. The fuel and engine temp guages are swappable without the need for coding with vag-com. word of warning, although you can use guages from a b7 like i did(look identical) the red needles are a different style to a b6 so you will have an odd one out. whole job only takes 30mins

Cheers mate, I'll keep my eye out for a donor dash pod then, switch the gauges, and see if that solves the problem permanently.

Don%27t-Drink-and-Post.png