Anyone managed to clean up their chrome window surrounds?

allyp

Reaction score
As above tried everything in my cleaning kit but nothin will take the chrome/aluminium strips up,they still look misty,anyone used something they can recommend ,thanks

you talkin about the chrome/ally strips that run up the sides of the windscreen??? i would like to know how to clean them up as well

Ditto ! I did read somewhere that the wrong kind of screenwash can make them look corroded... mine look ok for while after I was them but they sooon go chalky/milky..... they are also very hard to remove to refurb I understand.

yeh thats right m8 just cant get them clean ,only one i found is something called quixx autoscratch remover searched it out on line but not sure if it will work

its the water that gets under thats why they go misty so im told
thats why i never have chrome

i havent had the chance to give my car a good wash since i got it coz of this rubbish weather, but i have noticed the chrome strips could do with a polish, i think they will annoy me when i have spent a few hours doin the car and they are the only scruffy looking thing left lol

more the ones on the doortops and round the doors that are tarnished

I use AutoGlym Super Resin Polish. The result aren't instant, but if you do it weekly after a month or so you should notice a massive improvement.

ive tried meguiars chrome cleaner, clay ,superresin, rainex,brake cleaner,other scratch remover,g3 cutting compound nothing touched it ,there were lots more as well lol think ill order the quixx stuff to see as its doing my nut

If theyve gone milky, the only option is to replace.I had a door trim go milky after 9 months and replaced under warranty....dealer stated that they are unrecoverable.Its water that gets under the plastic top coat.

It's something you will have to live with once the chrome trim has sign's of water damage/ age and so it is very hard to reverse. I think it's the one thing that let's a car down, when we detail car's with chrome trim work we can't correct it 100%. I know of member's on this and other forums who have had the trim vinly wraped or painted black.

mmm,ok if the stuff i order works ill report back doesnt look good though

i use autosol metal polish available on ebay at about £3 a tube! takes a couple of aplications but worked a treat on my avant roof rails and chrome window surounds! (its got aloy oxide in it the hardest minaral on earth after dimonds!! how do you rate that for being a geek) so removes all that spunky tarnish look!

Could you use autosol for example or would this be a no go?

ive tried peek metal polish it wasnt any good maybe the autosol will work then,i was told maybe a jewellery cleaner might work as it has some cut in it?

wont get it off as its under the plastic finish

yes its coated as stated from audi uk

Ok so nobody can fix this then?is that right replace or put up with it

autosol! for £3 its worth a try mate it works for me! i was told that these parts were adnonised!!

Ok cheers vorsprung ill give it a go,and little ted ill email them cheers