Glow plug light flashing?

dubstar74

Reaction score
So the glow plug light started flashing tonight so I take it needs new glow plugs then??

Which are the best ones to go for?

Is the car becoming reluctant to start?

I bought genuine replacements, only about £16 each. I'd not mess about with anything less personally.

Yes on some days its fine but other times especially when cold its does struggle to start, but once warmed up there fine.

But do you know if it'll be to ok drive to drive it like this until the end of the month? I've got to drive to Liverpool this weekend!!!
And is this a DIY jobbie or do I need special tools??

Glow plug flashing whilst the engine is running or not has nowt to do with the glow plugs but means there is a fault with the engine management system. I would do a diagnostic scan with VCDS first and see if there is any fault code pointing to the brake switch. The switch has dual function and when bust it triggers ththe coil light. What engine you have ?

Glow plug flashing whilst the engine is running or not has nowt to do with the glow plugs but means there is a fault with the engine management system. I would do a diagnostic scan with VCDS first and see if there is any fault code pointing to the brake switch. The switch has dual function and when bust it triggers tht coil light. What engine you have ?

Can I ask if that would give him truble starting it ?

Can I ask if that would give him truble starting it ?

No it wouldn't.

I nearly mentioned the brake light switch, but in my experience thats normally accompanied by the ESP light.

It would probably be alright to keep driving it, although only a scan will tell you for sure. Glowplugs will generally degrade rather than fail overnight. Both them and the switch are acheivable by a competent DIY mechanic, I've a pdf guide for the switch, and the plugs are a bit more involved but easy enough.

Is it a 1.9 or 2.5?

did`nt think it would mate thats why i ? it. any wayoem glowplugs are £15 +vat for a 1.9 tdi and i dont have a price in my book for the 2.5 tdi witch is strange sop im thinking they are around the same price if you are any where near me i can get them cheaper mate

My engine is a AWX 130bhp 1.9tdi, but the light has now turned off? and the starting trouble is only really there when its really cold? I think its more a psychological thing??

I'm sure the light wasn't a psychological thing! In my experience glow plugs won't so much 'fail' as degrade over time so I think you would have noticed a decline in the cars starting performance. It's worth getting a scan though to make sure all is well with the car.

Did you check the brake lights were working ok?

My engine is a AWX 130bhp 1.9tdi, but the light has now turned off? and the starting trouble is only really there when its really cold? I think its more a psychological thing??
On the late PD 130 a burnt glowplug will trigger a fault code but wont impend starting. Does the engine sound rough after it starts on a cold morning and is there any excessive steam from the exhaust ? That will point to the glowplugs. I do however think there is a fault with the engine management, possibly emmission related- could be even a injector missfiring, the injector loom is quite a common fault on pd engines. Do a scan with vcds and post the fault codes back here, we'll be able to suggest a solution then...