Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Fitting reversing Sensors to an AVANT

Just received my parking sensors for my avant however was wondering if it was possible to fit them without removing the bumper? Its a B6 2004 model.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    no bumper off job

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    i was told the hole positions are marked on the rear of the bumper so the positions when fitted are correct
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    yes they are

5th Gear

Status
    you can fit after market ones without removing the bumper, but it is a very fidderly job, much earier to remove the bumper

2nd Gear

Status
    I have aftermarket ones I was going to fit last weekend, can anyone give an explanation to how the reav bumper comes off of an avant?

Thanks

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    its quite involved, i took mine off when i swapped over the lower valance. first the car needs to be on axle stands with both the rear wheels off then there are 2 or 3 screws in each wheel arch the fix into the end of the lower valance. There are 2 screws underneith right at the back(you cant miss these). iirc you then need to remove the boot floor,the left and right boot sides and the amp and sub have to be removed, there are 5 nuts each side to remove. i think i also had the luggage hooks out also.Then its just a case of pulling it off the car. i know it sounds quite a lot to do but it only takes 45mins or so
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

2nd Gear

Status
    Only thing is i can't really put mine on axle stands as my drive is on a slope, so not sure how safe it would be?

Neutral

Status
    Is it right the rear of the bumper has pre marked locations for the sensors??
    2004 A4 advant 1.9tdi B6

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by swarcup View Post
    its quite involved, i took mine off when i swapped over the lower valance. first the car needs to be on axle stands with both the rear wheels off then there are 2 or 3 screws in each wheel arch the fix into the end of the lower valance. There are 2 screws underneith right at the back(you cant miss these). iirc you then need to remove the boot floor,the left and right boot sides and the amp and sub have to be removed, there are 5 nuts each side to remove. i think i also had the luggage hooks out also.Then its just a case of pulling it off the car. i know it sounds quite a lot to do but it only takes 45mins or so
    Not necessary to jack up the rear and remove wheels - wheel arch screws are accessible with wheels in place with Torx bit and right angle ratchet. Worked fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by medicpaul View Post
    Is it right the rear of the bumper has pre marked locations for the sensors??
    Yes on the inside - target type cross and circles mark the 4 spots - also on the front bumper too!
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

3rd Gear

Status
    Can you fit the Audi proper ones without coding them, or is it just easier to buy a normal kit and do the wiring them into the reversing lights thing......... I', thinking about it having an effect on DIS / Bulb out kinda stuff....
    2003 A4 Cab 2.4 V6 Manual / 43k miles genuine woohoo (on a 10 year old car lol) / Ebony Black Metallic / Full Grey Leather / Fully Electric Seats / Heated Seats / Interior Light Pack / Cruise / Wood / Bose Symphony II / Black roof

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Woorlord View Post
    Not necessary to jack up the rear and remove wheels - wheel arch screws are accessible with wheels in place with Torx bit and right angle ratchet. Worked fine for me.
    yes that would work also. if you have one

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbyfan View Post
    Can you fit the Audi proper ones without coding them, or is it just easier to buy a normal kit and do the wiring them into the reversing lights thing......... I', thinking about it having an effect on DIS / Bulb out kinda stuff....
    Audi proper ones?? The factory fitted sensors can not be retrofitted without a new bumper skin and control unit and additional wiring. Coding is via VAG-COM. These sensors are completely flush with the bumper skin.

Audi do do a retrofit kit which they would fit to any Audi requiring them. As mentioned before on other similar threads (check out the search button) the Audi retrofit kit is also available as a "cobra kit" and readily available on the Ebay. These require a 20mm hole cut in the bumper and the control unit wires into the reverse light. It does not affect the DIS bulb out warning as your bulbs would be working.

I got hold of the Audi retrofit kit, (Part no. 8E0 054 630 A), some years back on Ebay ~Ł100. Ł20 to get the sensors sprayed the correct Audi colour. DIY fitting.
    Last edited by Woorlord; 24th February 2011 at 20:24.
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

3rd Gear

Status
    Nice one cheers
    2003 A4 Cab 2.4 V6 Manual / 43k miles genuine woohoo (on a 10 year old car lol) / Ebony Black Metallic / Full Grey Leather / Fully Electric Seats / Heated Seats / Interior Light Pack / Cruise / Wood / Bose Symphony II / Black roof