Fitting reversing Sensors to an AVANT

medicpaul

Reaction score
Just received my parking sensors for my avant however was wondering if it was possible to fit them without removing the bumper? Its a B6 2004 model.

no bumper off job

yes they are

I have aftermarket ones I was going to fit last weekend, can anyone give an explanation to how the reav bumper comes off of an avant?

Thanks

its quite involved, i took mine off when i swapped over the lower valance. first the car needs to be on axle stands with both the rear wheels off then there are 2 or 3 screws in each wheel arch the fix into the end of the lower valance. There are 2 screws underneith right at the back(you cant miss these). iirc you then need to remove the boot floor,the left and right boot sides and the amp and sub have to be removed, there are 5 nuts each side to remove. i think i also had the luggage hooks out also.Then its just a case of pulling it off the car. i know it sounds quite a lot to do but it only takes 45mins or so

Only thing is i can't really put mine on axle stands as my drive is on a slope, so not sure how safe it would be?

Is it right the rear of the bumper has pre marked locations for the sensors??

its quite involved, i took mine off when i swapped over the lower valance. first the car needs to be on axle stands with both the rear wheels off then there are 2 or 3 screws in each wheel arch the fix into the end of the lower valance. There are 2 screws underneith right at the back(you cant miss these). iirc you then need to remove the boot floor,the left and right boot sides and the amp and sub have to be removed, there are 5 nuts each side to remove. i think i also had the luggage hooks out also.Then its just a case of pulling it off the car. i know it sounds quite a lot to do but it only takes 45mins or so
Not necessary to jack up the rear and remove wheels - wheel arch screws are accessible with wheels in place with Torx bit and right angle ratchet. Worked fine for me.

Is it right the rear of the bumper has pre marked locations for the sensors??
Yes on the inside - target type cross and circles mark the 4 spots - also on the front bumper too!

Can you fit the Audi proper ones without coding them, or is it just easier to buy a normal kit and do the wiring them into the reversing lights thing......... I', thinking about it having an effect on DIS / Bulb out kinda stuff....

Can you fit the Audi proper ones without coding them, or is it just easier to buy a normal kit and do the wiring them into the reversing lights thing......... I', thinking about it having an effect on DIS / Bulb out kinda stuff....

Audi proper ones?? The factory fitted sensors can not be retrofitted without a new bumper skin and control unit and additional wiring. Coding is via VAG-COM. These sensors are completely flush with the bumper skin.

Audi do do a retrofit kit which they would fit to any Audi requiring them. As mentioned before on other similar threads (check out the search button) the Audi retrofit kit is also available as a "cobra kit" and readily available on the Ebay. These require a 20mm hole cut in the bumper and the control unit wires into the reverse light. It does not affect the DIS bulb out warning as your bulbs would be working.

I got hold of the Audi retrofit kit, (Part no. 8E0 054 630 A), some years back on Ebay ~£100. £20 to get the sensors sprayed the correct Audi colour. DIY fitting.

Last edited: