I bet u know what this is ? ? ?

audi_tee

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im new here and already feel ashamed that the first contribution i have is for HELP. lol

I have a problem with my audi a4 1.8T quattro?

i will get straight to the point, I have only had it for a month and lent it to my dad for a couple of days, on the first day he called me and said the oil light had came on so obviously i told him to check the oil level and he said it was fine, the next day he said it happend again and minutes later whilst at a stand still the top end started making noise like no oil was getting up there?

I know abit but about cars but i wouldnt call myself a mechanic so before i go tampering with things i thought i would ask you lot as im sure you have incountered this probblem on this forum before?

im based in croydon london so if anyone feels they can sort it out if it isnt a DIY job then please let me know as i need it fixed asap.

thanks for your time :thumbsup:

Eek

Sounds to me like the oil pick up in the sump is blocked restricting oil flow around the engine. Its a real issue on the 1.8T if they've been on longlife servicing and had the wrong oil mixed in.

DON'T be tempted to drive it, seriously.

The sump needs to come off, flush the engine, change the oil and clean/replace the oil pick up.

oh dear, the age old sludge problem rears it's ugly head again.

Do a quick search, it has been covered almost on a daily basis.

Suffice to say you need to drop the subframe and release the sump and clean out the oil pick out, or replace the oil pump, assuming the turbo hasn't bought it

For future ref - change the oil every six months if you can

Ouch thanks for the quick replies,

Thats my saturday/sunday out of the window.lol

Its a weird one for me because when you first start it its fine runs sweet no smoke or missfire's but then it gets noisey.

If poss can someone list the parts i will need to aid this problem eg. engine flush/pipes/oil pump etc.

thanks im going to search i few threads and see what im in for lol

ps i dont know why im lol'ing this isnt going to be cheap isit

Its a couple of hundred to get a garage to do it I think from what I've read.

Cheaper to know now though, the sludge issue has wrecked plenty of engines, and even more turbos!

hmm

so i've gone through a few theads and all mention that they have taken action pretty much asoon as the oil light came on. none mention there engine making noise asoon as it starts to gets warm so i dont know whether to get the oil pump changed and sump cleaned etc or just start looking for another engine an change all the advised bits before i put it in?

there was a detail thread with pictures and a step by step guide of how to do it by a guy called mark. absolutely brilliant i must say

Last edited:
I had a customer that drove 100 miles before getting it done , they just kept stopping every time the oil light came on there tappets were also rattling
i dont advice this by the way its just what happened :)
when we stripped the sump off and renewed the pick up pipe and cleaned the sump out put it back together all was fine and still is 18months later
only difference is they change the oil every 5 k now
so i personally would change the pick up clean it out and give it a shot you will probably be good to go
i definately wouldnt be dumping the engine first before trying
Paul

The daft thing is Audi in their wisdom have the oil pressure warning set not to come on till after 2 k revs iirc, so at idle etc, she could be rattling her nuts off with no pressure, but the light won't light.

I did a how to guide in B5, mostly the same for B6 TBH.

Some people have been lucky with draining the oil and filling the sump with diesel overnight to shift the crap, drain and refill . Personally i would get that sump off now, and you will prob save the car

I've also heard draining the sump, refilling with parafin overnight (don't start) then draining and refilling can do the trick! Did this with my Golf TDi130 and was amazed at the black crap that came out

In the US they drain the oil fill her up to the brim with Diesel leave her over night, drain put on new cheap oil filter cheap oil then start her up but leave here ticking over for about an hour.

Drain again put new good oil filter on and fresh good oil and your good to go.

Another option is drain a little oil put in some engine flush and leave to run through drain and put the good stuff in.

or do as the other have done and drop the sump and slap in new pump and pick-up pipe to be sure.