Clutch switch - What is it for?

AudiLeon

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Obviously it's for the cruise control, but I had a switch in there before i installed cruise.

Mine was broken so is currently bridged. I should replace it at some point, is there any negative points to not having a switch on at the mo?

Hi
Im sure its to drop the revs between gear changes .

No less as it drops the revs instead the possibilty of the revs holding on a bit as they do in some cars
when you rev some cars they dont drop down quickly they drop slow on the road this can missmatch the revs on gear changes especially quick ones
if they dont drop quick the road speed pulls the revs down via the gearbox when the clutch is realised
hope ive made sence i know what i mean :)

It disengages the cruise control where fitted. You will read many internet myths about this switch. When you get a new one measure it with multimeter whilst actuating it. You will see it is nothing mystical

The brakelight switch failed on my 2.5 TDI Quattro recently and I noticed this clutch switch whilst investigating the brake light switch. As I don't have cruise I could see no point to the clutch switch and wondered if I could use it to replace the failed brake light switch as a temporary measure.
I couldn't as they are different, but whilst learning all this (and what a pain moth switches are to fit/set up without breaking!) I had to drive without the clutch switch - although initially I couldn't tell much difference, I had cause to accelerate hard from rest at a roundabout and the car took off like a rocket! I can only assume that the clutch aswitch limits engine power until the clutch is fully disengaged - to give the clutch an easier life and pre vent wear.
I have to admit being tempted to fit an additional switch to the dash to "kill" the clutch switch in moments of madness when all out acceleration is needed, although the thought of the price of a clutch prevented me from doing this!!!

Interesting though.

Ian