Aftermarket radio reception = 0

blucoop

Reaction score
Hi guys i finally got around to doing my single to double din conversion today along with installing an aftermarket sat nav/dvd/tv unit (same as the one in millwrx's recent thread).

The unit looks and feels great, however i am having problems with reception.

The radio has none whatsoever but ive checked that the antenna cable is plugged in and it definately is. Have i missed something?? There was a wire with a little yellow plug going into the old stereo which i just figured was for the dis so left in unplugged. is this correct??

Im also getting no freeview reception either and that is also definately plugged into the tv antenna..

Any one got any ideas?? would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

have you got the right aerial adapter, the one which is powered? it should have a wire coming from it which you connect to the blue wire on the back of the headunit (amp or elec aerial) this is so it can power up the amp for the aerial, mine to has **** poor reception on the radio, even worse when the car is stood still, have you tried driving the car about whilst trying to get a radio station on the move?

As said by Scottb - the A4 has a rear mounted aerial amplifier which takes various signals from multiple rear screen aerials and pipes through the one with the strongest reception. This aerial amp requires power which comes from a separate power supply coaxial feed (Farka connector) on the back of the OEM head unit. The Avant has extra aerial elements in the rear side windows.

so do both aerials have to be plugged for it to work?? i tried just the normal aerial plugged in, then tried with just the fakra adapter one plugged in and attached the blue wire to a switched live but still no luck . if i need both how do i do it cos i cant find the correct adapter anywhere online??

also the rear speakers wont work with the new unit.. anyone got any ideas??

cheers

steve

One coax is the aerial feed and the other is the power supply from the head unit to the aerial amplifier - yes they both need to be plugged in.
I believe there may be an off the shelf adaptor - may be one of these.

Rear speakers are via an amp on non-Bose systems so you need to feed pre-amp outputs to the specific connector. Some adaptors here.

Last edited:
best bet for the rear speakers is to run new wires from the headunit to the amp in the o.s/r and conect to the feeds out of the amp, in turn by passing the rear amp

sorted the rear speakers now, the rear amp wasnt being powered.

radio still not working.. ive bought an amp for the standard din/iso type aerial hoping that will work, as i cant find the correct adapter anywhere to get both aerial types wired up.

thanks for the answers guys

steve