A4 Quattro 1.8 T sport 2001 juddering/loss of power

chocolatedobe

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently had my Audi behave really strange, It really felt like a coil on its way out, the juddering and loss of power, but then I would restart the car and it would be ok. I took the car into my local mechanic who quickly spotted an air hose had split and said this was causing he fault code of the mixture being too lean. Within a week or so the car did it again after a 30 mile trip, but after turning off the engine it almost felt like it was flooded when I tried a restart, after 5 mins the car then strarted ok and all was well. It has been on the diagnostics to check coils and all is well, no engine management light at all.

I have been searching the net and found people pointing towards the crankcase breather valve?

Can anyone help.

many thanks, Chocolatedobe

Last edited:
Can you remove the oil filler cap easily with the engine running?

To be honest, there are so many hoses and vacuum lines that can fail on the 1.8t, particularly on ones of our vintage, that it's worth checking all of them!

There are some vacuum lines from the manifold to the DV, rear of the engine etc, and one of mine was split and the others weren't far behind.

There is also the N75 valve that can cause symptoms such as you describe, and of course the MAF.

I've spent a lot of time replacing all my vacuum lines, DV, N75 and a few other bits and pieces and it transformed the car. It didn't cost much, mostly time. Once I'd sorted all that, in was confident in having it remapped, although a coil pack failed pretty much the same day as a result!

They are quite complex little engines, but worth the effort to sort out the little things that can cause them to run terribly.

Hi,
Yeah I can remove oilcap no problem, I have had coils go and it feels just like that except with a gurggling, bubbling type noise along with the judder. Then in minutes after the engine is restarted it goes away. I'll get into the garage Monday morning, the guy is pretty hot on Audi's so hopefully he sort it out. Actually after nmy full service last week he didi mention replacing the odd pipes and hoses that had softened etc.

Thanks for your help.

Chocolatedobe