Retrofitting Valeo HID Xenons to H7 Headlight

Woorlord

shifting to Hyperspace... .
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Decided to go for Valeo HID Ballast Kit and fit them in my H7 Halogen Headlight units. These kits are readily available in the US and I have recently found a supplier UK based.

I have previously had Slimline Ballasts fitted in this Healdight unit, but still get the intermittent "Brake Warning/ABS" errors on the DIS when switching the Lights on - Re-routing the crash sensor screened cables can reduce this error occurence but I have not been able to get rid of it 100%. Aftermarket HID kits rely on bulb connections from a Ballast or intermediate box using HT cables to the bulb, I believe these HT cables emit an RF interence spike which interferes with the crash sensor communication cables. (Note that this slimline ballast kit never gave me bulb out warnings on the DIS only the occasional Brake/ABS errors.)

The Kit I received (postmarked from San Fransico?) had the following parts:

01.JPG

plus H7/D2S adaptor rings and 12x Torx screws.

I am using my original H7 Projector Headlights (o/s RHD shown):

02.JPG

From my previous Slimline HID kit fit I had already cut a hole between the OEM Ballast recess
and the inside of the headlight.

03.JPG

Dimensions are here if you need to do this:

03-Drilled%20Hole.jpg

The Valeo Ballast to fit:

05.JPG

Crimp some male spade connectors to the power supply cable and insert the plug into
the Ballast 4 pin terminal. Connect the "Low voltage" shielded igniter wire into the other socket.

06.JPG

The Ballast comes with a rubber gasket already in place. Feed the wires through the
headlight hole and position the Ballast:

07.JPG

Secure the Ballast with the Torx screws supplied:

08.JPG

Cables seen from inside the H7 projector headlight. Connect the 12v H7 bulb
feed plug to the two ballast spade connectors. (These connections do not seem
to be polarised.)

09.JPG

The D2S bulb (4300K) - note that the H7 metal adaptor ring is already fitted.
Normally you have to trim a small part of the bulb base to make the bulb fully
compatible with the H7 fitting.

10.JPG

I was advised to do the following: "There is some further installation information that I would like to make you aware of although I think it will be obvious what needs to be done when you handle the items. The HID bulb should be orientated and fitted with the ceramic tube at the lowest position. The H7 adapter is fitted to the base of the bulb but in order to fit in your headlights the base will need to be modified slightly. The rim of base of the bulb will need to be trimmed off (with a dremel or clippers) so it doesn't obstruct the H7 adapter. "

I used a Junior hacksaw very carefully!

Picture from the "HID Origin" email H7 plate instructions showing the parts to trim with the H7 metal adaptor plate fitted:

H7-D2S.jpg

HID Concept also have this bulb modification documented if you purchase their H7/D2S Adaptors.

The bulb in position and fully retained with the original H7 spring clip. This clip will
fit but needs a little persuasion to seat in correctly - you just need to wiggle it over
the bulb bayonet lugs.

11.JPG

You can now connect the braided cable to the Valeo Igniter unit and then push
this onto the bulb:

12.JPG

The Valeo Igniter will lock in position with a 45 degree clockwise twist action.
All done and locked in place:

13.JPG

Bulb access cover fitted in place:

14.JPG

Repeat for the other headlight unit.
Job done.

Fitted both headlights and no DIS bulb out errors.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I've had this kit fitted to my car for 3 years now after getting fed up with failing bulbs on the previous aftermarket kit I bought and the Philips 4300k bulbs are still going strong.

Very worthwhile investment if you ask me, yes its a lot more expensive than the aftermarket ones but the quality is second to none ;)

Got my kit from here all arrived safe & sound and made it through customs with no VAT :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Woorlord,

Is it possible to screen the cables from a normal HID kit to try and cancel out the occasional errors on the DIS? This may be cheaper option for those of us who can't afford the Valeo kit...

Woorlord,

Is it possible to screen the cables from a normal HID kit to try and cancel out the occasional errors on the DIS? This may be cheaper option for those of us who can't afford the Valeo kit...

Thought about this for a long time - prompted me to try slimline ballasts over my original large ballasts. The problem still persisted despite additional ballast earthing.
You could try wrapping earthed fine wire mesh over each HT lead and connector from the HT box/igniter to the back of the bulb. I really did consider this but thought this would end up quite bulky and lack flexibility to actually fit the various items in place.

There must be an obvious reason why Valeo put the HT igniter directly on the bulb in a completely screened module and using low voltage signals between the ballast and bulb fitted igniter in a fully screened braided cable. This Valeo design is widely used by Audi/VW/Volvo/Jaguar/Chrysler/Renault!

Suggest you start another thread on this if you want to follow this up further.

Cheers Woorlord,

As I am building everything from new using your build thread, I will probably screen all the cables everything prior to putting into car, may even try screening the ballast as well...

Thanks for all the tips...

On ebay I there are his h7 kits for £50-70 are they total ****? Or good deal?

I had a £50 hid kit and they didnt really last long. After that decided to go the OEM Valeo route although a lil bit more expensive however they have not failed since then.

could you not make a loom? and run off battery?

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm looking to go the genuine route after messing about with cheap unreliable slimline kits, and it beats covering the same thing over and over in new threads.

It appears that with the advance in technology the prices of these parts have been falling. Could Woorlord or anyone else who knows what they're looking at check whether this lot (below links) would work as a cheaper alternative to the £300 kit at the top of this thread.

2 of this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171694965977?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

2x
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VALEO-D1S...hash=item3f3975736c:m:m6_rg9jHx7HJWAwCPh6LaEA

Bulbs
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-GENUIN...418846?hash=item4af4400f5e:g:ZygAAOSwgQ9V3tZC

Supply cable (needs modifying)
http://m.ebay.ie/itm/DZ77-5pcs-8inc...on-Cable-Powr-Supply-/121405220696?nav=SEARCH

£57.48 (x2=) £114.96
£36.95 (x2=) £73.90
£42.99
£1.31 (x2=) £2.62

Grand total of £234.47

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm looking to go the genuine route after messing about with cheap unreliable slimline kits, and it beats covering the same thing over and over in new threads.

It appears that with the advance in technology the prices of these parts have been falling. Could Woorlord or anyone else who knows what they're looking at check whether this lot (below links) would work as a cheaper alternative to the £300 kit at the top of this thread.

2 of this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171694965977?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

2x
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VALEO-D1S...hash=item3f3975736c:m:m6_rg9jHx7HJWAwCPh6LaEA

Bulbs
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-GENUIN...418846?hash=item4af4400f5e:g:ZygAAOSwgQ9V3tZC

Supply cable (needs modifying)
http://m.ebay.ie/itm/DZ77-5pcs-8inc...on-Cable-Powr-Supply-/121405220696?nav=SEARCH

£57.48 (x2=) £114.96
£36.95 (x2=) £73.90
£42.99
£1.31 (x2=) £2.62

Grand total of £234.47

The components you suggest look spot on apart from item #4 the supply cable - I am sure you can probably source the correct plug from somewhere - maybe worth a quick query with Audi and get some repair wires and make up your own correct plug.
Mine are still going strong - never had one single error with this kit since fitting.

Mine is also going strong. Not a single problem since putting it on. As for the supply cable as Woorlord suggested pick up from Audi/TPS.

A little update and to keep this thread useful for future searchers.
The following part number is for the 2 wire harness required to supply the Valeo LAD5GL unit.

8E0 971 671

I paid £7.97 ea from TPS.

However one thing I've missed from the original list is the H7/D2S adapter rings which I'm still searching for a UK distributor of in order to save on shipping. Will come back on this.

So the running total having saved €10 on shipping (for buying 2) ballasts but spending on the harnesses is £240.78

So still a reasonable saving as long as the adapters are cheap.

£120 per side and all OEM parts used

The adapters I posted have turned up. The eBay ad suggests they're genuine Valeo parts but they don't have any markings/paperwork and came in a plain white box.

Here's the link

They look ok but isn't £70 a bit steep if they're Chinese or whatever?

Could anyone with genuine ones check if they have a Valeo stamp on for me please. Considering sending them back