Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    3rd Gear

Status

HID kit, 35W or 50W

Hi guys,

Just about to order a HID kit from hidsdirect, along with 2 brand new Hella front light units from GSF, I am aware of the potential MOT issues, will probably just swap out the bulbs at MOT time, but am unsure as to whether to go for 35W or 50W kit???

Any ideas as to which would give out more light? going for factory spec 4300K but spend a fair bit of time on unlit/country roads so want as much light as possible....

Any suggestions on what led sidelights or better foglight bulbs to go for as well, and would appreciate it if someone can re-post woorlords fitting guide....

Cheers....
    03MY 52 reg 1.9 TDi 130PS Quattro Sport Avant - 170bhp remap, RNS-E+OEM bluetooth, B7 wiper arms/blades, 4300K HID+nightbreakers/LED sidelights, rear tints, new lights all round, new front/rear screens, frt armrest, s-line kit, cruise/DIS, B7 gearknob/aluminium trims, parking sensors, black grilles, RS4 RARB, S4 front end, black 18" RS6 alloys

Still waiting..... S4 rear bumper, exhaust tips, coilovers, leather recaro's.... phew...

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    I asked the same thing, and the consensus seemed to be stick to 35w as the 50's give more bulb errors.

35 or 55w HID Ballasts.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

1st Gear

Status
    James

I have just fitted Osram CBI Clear Blues which are rated at 5k and 3400 lumens (standard OEM are 4.1K and 3200 lumens!) dont ask me how they do it but the difference with these bulbs on 35w ballasts is very noticable indeed. Joined a local Astronomy groupd recently and to get the the vlub was down narrow B roads with no lighting, the new bulbs lit up half the countryside!

So you dont have to fit 50w ballasts to get better performance, however the CBI's are not cheap!!! - OSRAM D1S 66144CBI Xenarc COOL BLUE Intense Xenon NEU bei eBay.de: Designleuchten Lichter (endet 26.02.11 15:25:41 MEZ)

Good luck with your purchase which ever way you decide to go
    Audi A4 1.9TDI Quattro Sport in Black - Turbo Dynamics Re-Worked Std Turbo, De-CAT, EGR mod, Remap, RS4 RARB, Koni FSD's and 320m DTM brakes up front.
    Factory fit - HID's (Osram CBI 5k bulbs), Bose, Comfort Pack, Folding Mirrors, Cruise.

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcalvin View Post
    ......... and would appreciate it if someone can re-post woorlords fitting guide....
    Woorlords Slimline HID Ballasts - Fitting Guide

Have just purchased and fitted Valeo (35W) Ballasts/Ignitors with D2S bulbs - they were fitted in 10 minutes per headlight utilising the hole previously cut from my Slimline HID Ballasts guide.
    Will post some pictures later. They are very expensive as an HID solution but at least 50% cheaper than Audi! - the kit contains everything to do the job apart from a couple of spade crimps to connect to the H7 loom power connector. The Valeo ballast and ignitor design means there are no exposed HT leads to emit RF interference to the crash sensors at switch on. Audi factory HIDs use D1S bulbs but the H7 lens can not take this bulb, hence the use of D2S bulbs and a H7 adaptor retaining plate.
    Last edited by Woorlord; 29th January 2011 at 13:29.
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

3rd Gear

Status
    Woorlord,

Cheers for re-posting the fitting guide, just checked out the Valeo ballasts, expensive is an understatement and with the work I have to do yet can't justify this extra cost, have ordered the 4300K Hidsdirect kit, along with 2 brand new OEM headlight units from GSF, means I can take my time and build in the HID kit/ballasts as per your guide before fitting to the car....

Has anybody got any suggestions about sidelight bulbs and foglight bulbs to match, have seen a few posts about LED's but don't want any error codes coming up....

Cheers again everyone...
    03MY 52 reg 1.9 TDi 130PS Quattro Sport Avant - 170bhp remap, RNS-E+OEM bluetooth, B7 wiper arms/blades, 4300K HID+nightbreakers/LED sidelights, rear tints, new lights all round, new front/rear screens, frt armrest, s-line kit, cruise/DIS, B7 gearknob/aluminium trims, parking sensors, black grilles, RS4 RARB, S4 front end, black 18" RS6 alloys

Still waiting..... S4 rear bumper, exhaust tips, coilovers, leather recaro's.... phew...

5th Gear

Status
    It may be worth dropping hid-direct a e-mail, i spoke to them a little while ago on the same subject and they told me 50w won't fit the AUDI headlight as they are larger bulbs, i did find this a little strange but as this is their bussiness i trusted ther judgement,i am just about to order some new slimline ballasts from them as i still suffer with only one coming on periodicly but only seems to do it when the outside tempreture is very low, once they have both come on they will be fine all night long.
    A4 AVANT 1.9TDI 130 SPORT:
    18" RS6'S//TWIN EXHAUST//ALLARD EGR DELETE//AERO WIPERS//B7 KEYS & ENGINE COVERS//BLACK OPTICS //FRONT & REAR S-LINE BUMPERS//TAILGATE SPOILER//S4 HEADLIGHTS,GRILLS & DOOR BLADES//RS4 RARB & PEDALS//FRONT,REAR & FOOTWELL AMBIENT LIGHTING//PUDDLE LIGHTS//FAN JETS//MEDIA SYSTEM//T.V//7" HEADREST MONITORS//REAR BLINDS//REVERSE CAMERA// CRUISE & DIS

Status

My Social Networking

I have just bought some of these for my sidelights.

501/194/T10 New Mini Light Tower 15 Leds Xenon White by Ultra Leds U.K

I've had the 9 LED version of them with no errors for over two years if not longer, and a few of the individual LED's have burnt out.

Not very easy to photo, but this is them with my 6000k HID's.

Status

My Social Networking

I just put H11 Nightbreakers in my fogs, they're a bit yellower than the HID's, but I think thats a good thing in foggy conditions as you'll get less reflection. I've heard of people doing HID conversions/ LED bulbs etc but it's not for me.

3rd Gear

Status
    Cheers quattrojames,

Have heard good things about the nightbreakers and agree with not having too much white light from the fogs, to be fair, they won't be on that often anyway...

woorlord..

the link to the fitting guide doesn't seem to be working and I tried using the search facility and nothing comes up? Has someone removed it?

cheers again...

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by QuottroA4 View Post
    James

I have just fitted Osram CBI Clear Blues which are rated at 5k and 3400 lumens (standard OEM are 4.1K and 3200 lumens!)
    Thats an interesting option. I'm running the original 6000k cheapo bulbs, so will upgrade to a 4300/5000k kind of bulb. I'm happy to spend in the region of Ł50ish for the bulbs as I've got quite good ballasts already.

You found the D1S's fitted straight in as an H7 replacement do they?

Just I've read this:

Quote Originally Posted by Woorlord View Post
    Audi factory HIDs use D1S bulbs but the H7 lens can not take this bulb, hence the use of D2S bulbs and a H7 adaptor retaining plate.
    Last edited by quattrojames; 29th January 2011 at 14:57.

1st Gear

Status
    James

I have factory fit HIS's so had to go with the much more expensive D1S option as I'd already ordered the CBI's from HIDs4u to find that the D2S bulbs they sent didnt fit. It was then I found that nowhere in the UK stocks D1S CBI's for less then Ł170 each!!!!

If your willing to strench another Ł25 for the pair I'd highly recommend them Replacement Osram D2S Cool Upgrade Cool Blue Intense Xenon Bulb

Rich
    Audi A4 1.9TDI Quattro Sport in Black - Turbo Dynamics Re-Worked Std Turbo, De-CAT, EGR mod, Remap, RS4 RARB, Koni FSD's and 320m DTM brakes up front.
    Factory fit - HID's (Osram CBI 5k bulbs), Bose, Comfort Pack, Folding Mirrors, Cruise.

3rd Gear

Status
    Cheers for all the help guys,

Now have the following ordered in prep for fitting next week, 2 new headlight units, 4300K HID kit, ultraled 15's sidelight bulbs, clear indicator bulbs, 2 new foglights and nightbreakers for the fogs, plus 2 new grills for the fogs....

Will take some photo's before and after to show the changes, just as a final thought, suggestion for main beam bulbs???

Status

My Social Networking

I've currently got some ebay special 100w "xenon colour" H7's in my main beams. When I swap the HID bulbs I might well swap them for some Nightbreaker plus, I'm not decided yet. I know the colour will be off, but going from 6000 to 4300k HIDs it won't be as noticeable. A brighter main beam would be good.

I know of a couple of users on here who've put HIDs in their main beams with apparent good results.

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by QuottroA4 View Post
    If your willing to strench another Ł25 for the pair I'd highly recommend them Replacement Osram D2S Cool Upgrade Cool Blue Intense Xenon Bulb
    Will these fit an H7 housing ok?

Quite a jump in price from my Ł50 lol!

1st Gear

Status
    HIDS defeated me this weekend and left me very wound up. Couldnt find anywhere to mount my ballasts as wouldnt fit under the headlight, slightly too deep, couldnt get the clip off to release the headlight completely from the car, and the sidelights are hidden behind the headlight motor?!?!?!?! what a stupid design :\

5th Gear

Status
    dont know if anyone said it on here but when you get em make sure you get the errorcode blocks that you plug in so you get no errors on dash

3rd Gear

Status
    vr6gordy,

the blurb from hidsdirect advises no error codes as these are audi specific, I'm sure I read somewhere else that they now come with the errorcode blocks built in now to prevent this....

If not then a seriously upset jbcalvin will be phoning hidsdirect re mis-advertising....

quattrojames,

may order some nightbreakers for the main beams unless anyone else has suggestions.... don't want to go HID route for mains as well...

Need a V8 or Bi-Turbo.......

Status
    HID's are nearly all made in China. Just order a set off eBay. I've had 2 sets of 35w HID's from the same company in China and I have had no problems at all. (the reason I've had 2 sets is that I left the last set on my E30 when I sold it)

I paid Ł40 with delivery and they got here in 6 days (which I don't think is too bad all things considered)

One thing I will say though is buy ones with slimline ballasts. Then you can hide all the wires inside the headlight.

Status

My Social Networking

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi,

Beware of radio interference with some kits the ballasts emit static and will wipe out FM stations and there is no real cure have a google and read there is pages of it. I have 50w can bus friendly ballasts with 4300k on my sport and they look like stock best way to install is to remove the headlight from the car and drill a 20mm hole in the bottom run the cables through the hole and bolt the ballast to the inside corners where the front valance connects to the wing. You will find a nice 6mm bolt with a 10mm nut waiting to be used :-) on both sides. Then tie wrap the ballast to stop any movement as they are only fitted on a centre bolt. Job can be done in about 1hr and if done this way when opening the bonnet nothing is visible. Sides are 8 led 501's with onboard chip to prevent can bus errors. I have very minimal radio interference but have had ballasts in the past that have knocked out my FM reception really bad....be warned