Lamin-X or Joey Mod??

Martin69

Reaction score
what are peoples opinions on lamin-x vs the joey mod??

I originally wanted to do the joey mod but it seems like alot of hassle and I would prob have to source a second set of lights because I dont think id trust myself to do the job on my original lights...

lamin-x seems like a fairly cheap enough alternative for a similar effect...

so thoughts/opinions please...

I dont like the idea of putting tinting film on my headlights, seems a bit backwards...

I joeyed the ones on my old B5:

main.php

main.php

I'm about to do a set of S4 HID units for the new car, and will be joeying them as well. The only change i'm making is i'll be using black paint rather than anthracite that you see in the above images, as i think that will look a bit better.

Are there any pics of anyone with the Lamin X film on? Tempted to give it a go but worried i'll lose too much light output?

light smoke on the headlights:

100_0915.jpg

I haven't noticed any difference in the light output at all.

cool I like that! Where did you buy it from, the US?

Bought it from Lamin-X .co.uk it worked out about £40 for the front lights and fogs. Its also very easy to apply especially for you if you can wrap cars!

I prefer the Joey mod myself, I think that's the ultimate headlight mod.

That said it's a lot of work and I for one don't have the time to do it most years! Thats why I'm planning on a Lamin-x tint, which do look good. I've spoken to a couple of people who've done it, and they don't report any drop in useable light.

I bought some pre-cut Lamin-x from the USA for my headlamps and fogs - I opted for the darkest. Dead easy to fit (just don't rush it and make sure the surfaces are prep'd first). Once done I decided to remove the headlamp ones as I felt they did not suit "my" car - it just didn't feel that classy if I'm honest, but I kept it on my fogs which helps hide them away and looks really smart.

I suppose because I have factory xenons they look good enough on their own and don't need enhancing as such.

Tried the joey mod but my attempt failed miserably, would love to have it done tho...

Are there any pics of anyone with the Lamin X film on? Tempted to give it a go but worried i'll lose too much light output?

Heres mine with gunsmoke. I did take them off in the end as light output was pretty bad on dark winter evening. Summer tho didn't have too much problems.

PB260179.jpg

Might put them back on in the summer but undecided

Are they reusable then? As in they can be taken off and refitted easily?

Are they reusable then? As in they can be taken off and refitted easily?

If you mean the Lamin-x then yes if your carefull, you can put them on rip them off put them back etc - they are very very durable (although I lobbed mine in the bin to make sure I did'nt put them back on again!!)

I used to have the normal H11 fog bulbs which gave off a yack yellow/orange light - something that clashed greatly with my xenons! Yesterday I changed them for H11 LED's and here are the before and after shots:

DSC_1283.jpg

After

DSC_1616.jpg

Thanks for the replies lads... some useful info there... never even considered the effect on light output... will have to think about that as I find the light output from the b6 poor enough as it is...

May look into getting a second set of headlights so...

A bit off topic Does the bumper have to be removed to take the lights out I need to take my lights out to try do a mod on them

A bit off topic Does the bumper have to be removed to take the lights out I need to take my lights out to try do a mod on them

no it doesnt... there are a few screws holding the lights on... awkward at first to take them off but once you get use to it it gets easier and easier... the air duct on the drivers side has to be taken off to get at the drivers side headlight...

I love the look.

I want some for my fogs as the tint spray keeps wearing off,lol

Still scared to do the joey mod as i am sure the headlights will explode if i stick em in the oven, lucky like that me !

I have the 'light tint' fitted to my A4 avant,i had the same fitted to my bora,i did try the gun smoke tint on the bora but found it reduced the light output in a big way and that was with factory Xenons!!

Here are some pics of the avant,i went one step further and tinted the little clear square on the tail lights,i think it looks very smart.

5068477686_7aec111e1a_z.jpg

5028076970_b8ddc05740.jpg

that looks smart alright shane... I never thought of tinting the back clear bits... very good idea... what measurements did you order??

I love the look.

I want some for my fogs as the tint spray keeps wearing off,lol

Still scared to do the joey mod as i am sure the headlights will explode if i stick em in the oven, lucky like that me !

Oven doesnt really work on these. Heat gun and lots of prying is whats needed. The link above from A4mods is pretty concise.

that looks smart alright shane... I never thought of tinting the back clear bits... very good idea... what measurements did you order??

Martin i cant remember the exact measurements but i think i oreder 2 x largest sheets from the uk site and it was just enought to do the 2 headlights and tails,ill check it out and see if i have the invoice lying around ok .

Martin i cant remember the exact measurements but i think i oreder 2 x largest sheets from the uk site and it was just enought to do the 2 headlights and tails,ill check it out and see if i have the invoice lying around ok .

thanks a million Shane... want to get these ordered as soon as...

I forget how mint that car looked Doc :(

Did film that dark affect the light output?

Id lamin-x myself, want to do it meself just as long as light wont be affected too much

Martin couldn't find an invoice but i am nearly sure i got 2 sheets of the 12x28 size from lamin-x.co.uk

thanks a million Shane... will more than likely get that ordered tonight... cheers