More Coolant/Electrical Issues?

Ronniebiggs

Reaction score
Im fed up I solve one problem and get another!

I drove the car the other day and noticed that the temperature gauge wasnt moving much of 50 which is obviously cold. The hot air was blowing luke warm through the heaters and when I stopped at my house and reved the car for a while the gauge rose to 90 and the air felt hotter. It took alittle while to get upto notmal temp (90).

I thought nothing of it and started it today first thing this morning and it started as if it was warm. Meaning the tick over when started cold normally goes upto 1500rpm then drops down to 850ish rpm once its ran for a few mins. That never happened. Then I noticed that the radiator fans where on.

So I drove to work which is 20 miles and then check to see if the fans where on and they where not. But still the temperature gauge was only just above 50.

Now my fans still come on and the engine management light is on!

To add more confusion if you havent read my previous thread I have a water leak from somewhere which I cant find. The water level is fine and there is no loss of compression and no water in the oil etc.

Any suggestions or advice would be great. I know I may need to take it to a garage to get the code read but im trying to avoid that if I can as they charge a rip off price round here to diagnose the fault.

My guess is the water temperature sensor is faulty. I think that would kick the fans in and put the ECU light on. What do you think?

Thanks
Andy

I know its just a sceptical over them as I used to have a xsara VTR and I had a ECU light come on and I had it checked. It came up with 1 sensor so I replaced it. Then the light stopped on. So I had it read again and changed the sensor it recomended this time. This happened 5 times until I had changed 5 different sesnors and still the light had not gone out. I ended up scrapping the car!

I know this is probably an extreme example but still I know fault codes can be thrown up falsely due to other electrical faults.

I will probably have to take it tomorrow and have the codes read. Not keen on paying though as its anywhere between £20-£50 depending on where you go and what mood there in.

Water pump is more than likely leaking - you'll never really see any leaks other than your coolant going down quite often, for example, you will have to top up the expansion tank every week or two.

The other issue will be either the thermostat or the temp sensor (common fault) or both.

I recently had my cambelt done and had the water pump done at the same time - i had coolant going to and since the pump change all is good.

I also have a faulty sensor - sometimes the needle won't work and other times it will - i need to change it, it's a simple DIY job and a cheap part - I've just been a little lazy as I have a VI Monitor which tells me the temp anyway so I've not been too rushed!

Yes I recently had this happen on my v6 tdi. The coolant is lost as steam when its gets too hot. The easiest way to check is to see if you have water circulation.

I have located the area where its leaking from now. It must be getting worse as you can see it dripping almost central at the back of the block below all the pipes which are furthest towards the bulk head. Whats the shinney aluminium metal cylinder at the very rear in the same place to the left slightly from center of the block?

Is that the thermostat?

I bought a water temp sensor today but could I hell as find where the damn thing is even with a hanes manual!

Going to try and change the temp sensor tomorrow and I will take a few pipes off to get to it and so hopefully will locate the leak.