Autoglass... HOW MUCH!!!!!!

jbcalvin

Reaction score
Evening all,

Due to 3 large chips on my windscreen:(, along with what can only be described as thousands of tiny ones, along with the previous owners wrecking the rear screen by not changing the wiper blade resulting in some VERY heavy scratching:banghead:, I decided to get some prices on changing my front and rear screens....

Front will be covered by Insurance (£70 excess) but thought I would get prices anyway....

Autowindscreens quoted me £156.88 inc VAT and fitting for the rear and £152.04 for the front which I thought was reasonable, but thought I would check Autoglass as well for a comparison....

HOLY CRAP!:ohmy:

After telling me that they wouldn't cover it under my insurance as Admiral have removed them from their approved supplier list, they then quoted me £1100 for both.......... WTF!!!!!!:faint:

Even after telling them their main competitor was £800 cheaper they then said the best price they could do was £800.....

I wonder how much longer they will be running their catchy TV ads at this rate:confused:, because clearly they have been ripping the **** out of insurance companies and subsequently you and me, hence why most of them seem to have ditched them....

I'm still in a state of shock now, although I am booked in with Auto windscreens for next month... just need to source that B7 rear wiper motor and arm now in preparation....:yes:

Wow - very interesting reading as I want to replace my front windscreen and trying to get actual prices can be ****** hard from these guys - thanks for the heads up!

I had a new screen on mine just before Christmas and mine was £70 from autoglass.

Chris - note this can't be done at work or home place, has to go the depot and takes 4hrs on a Cab!!! Have to work with doors open windows down and roof off.

Had a similar issue with my wifes lupo, her screen had a massive crack in it after hitting a pot hole but never checked insurance correctly, just went cheapest so it was never covered!

Autoglass £600
Auto Windscreens £180

You can guess which i went for!

Holy Crap!

I recently had a stonechip "repaired" by AutoWindscreens as the approved company for my insurer - they filled it with resin, but if anything have made it worse. I've got to get it sorted prior to the MOT - guess I won't be paying Autoglass to do it then!

Evening all,

Due to 3 large chips on my windscreen:(, along with what can only be described as thousands of tiny ones, along with the previous owners wrecking the rear screen by not changing the wiper blade resulting in some VERY heavy scratching:banghead:, I decided to get some prices on changing my front and rear screens....

Front will be covered by Insurance (£70 excess) but thought I would get prices anyway....

Autowindscreens quoted me £156.88 inc VAT and fitting for the rear and £152.04 for the front which I thought was reasonable, but thought I would check Autoglass as well for a comparison....

HOLY CRAP!:ohmy:

After telling me that they wouldn't cover it under my insurance as Admiral have removed them from their approved supplier list, they then quoted me £1100 for both.......... WTF!!!!!!:faint:

Even after telling them their main competitor was £800 cheaper they then said the best price they could do was £800.....

I wonder how much longer they will be running their catchy TV ads at this rate:confused:, because clearly they have been ripping the **** out of insurance companies and subsequently you and me, hence why most of them seem to have ditched them....

I'm still in a state of shock now, although I am booked in with Auto windscreens for next month... just need to source that B7 rear wiper motor and arm now in preparation....:yes:

what area are you in, as a couple of my mates work for auto glass so if your around the chester/wirral/north wales area im sure they could do it cheaper for you (pound notes of course)

I hate Autoglass!

Im with Admiral and early last year i refused to let Admiral send them out. They said they had a lot of customers like me doing that.

Im actually glad i've found out that they are not using them anymore. Bunch of cowboys.

Hi is there are way to repair the rear heated screen as some the eliments are not working or is it easyer to replace it with a new one?

pjmspeedy/chris555 - It can be done at work/home so long as it's dry and the technician has enough space to get both front doors open, they are doing it at the girlfriends work for me. Incidentally pjmspeedy I tried to PM you about some prices for parts and your inbox is full....

scottb - thanks for the offer but I am in Glasgow....

nozdog - elements are not repairable, but to be fair £150 isn't a huge mount to pay for a completely new screen...

roll on the 15th Feb....

Thanks for the info jbcalvin.

I also had them look at a few stone chips a few months back under my insurance. I wasn't impresssed with the whole event and it makes you wonder how much they charge for a call out like that under insurance as you don't see any paperwork to see what type of repair they would invoice for.