White Headlight Bulbs

shaunmc

Reaction score
Bought some brighter bulbs a month or so back. Osram nightbreakers if i remember right.
But theyre so yellow its unbelievable, i was hoping they'd freshen up the car a little, and be a lot whiter if im honest.
Ive realised that i do more round town driving than out of town driving, so hugely bright lights isnt a must. Just white ones, i had HID's fitted on my old car, but now realising the new MOT laws coming in at the end of the year, it wont be worth my while fitting them.
Can anyone recommend any white bulbs and possibly sidelights too? (I understand the sidelights will need to be the canbus ones to stop errors)

Thanks
Shaun

did you buy the osram night breaker 90% ones? there are so many its easy to get the wrong ones.... they are actually reall good bulbs

I use the nightbreaker plus in both of our cars and I wouldn't say they were yellow, maybe compared to HID but a lot whiter than std bulbs. I can't be bothered with HID, for sidelights you'll probably want some LED's

I posted a link in a thread I created couple of weeks ago on this forum showing my A4 with rigional bulbs and Bosch Pure Light bulbs, defo whiter and brighter in my opinion.....

Hi, not totaly scientific.....left is origional, right is with Bosch Pure Light H7s on dipped

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
I wanted to do the same thing as you, whiter light but dont want to be burning everyones retinas out wherever I drive so went for this very inexpensive option;
55w Xenon Bulbs High/Low/Fog H7/H7/H11 AUDI A4 2003 to on eBay (end time 20-Feb-11 17:16:15 GMT)

white light in use that is brighter than standard.Didnt wnat to go down the LED route personally so this suited what i wanted perfectly, and for the money, easy life ! At this price you can have them as a spare set to keep with you if you decide you dont like them.

DSC_0160.jpg

I should point out that the fog bulbs in these pictures are still standard.
DSC_0157.jpg

Last edited:
There you go Shaunmc, just popped out for a drive up the road to take some for you ! I had a heavy night last night so it was a good excuse to leave the house and get some fresh air !!

Dont know if these will help but you can see the difference in colour and esp. in the pic with the fogs on as these bulbs are still standard and not changed yet.

DSCF0533.jpg

DSCF0537.jpg

DSCF0538.jpg

DSCF0540.jpg

DSCF0541.jpg

DSCF0545.jpg

seeing as you got to take the headlights out anyway. maybe worth getting some chrome indicator bulbs also? You may not like the look or you may have done it already, i dont know obiously, butif you are intersted the Silvatec ones have always done me proud. Online is about £7 a pair but halfruads is about £12 !

I like the look, but i still want to pass MOT.
As they have to flash amber to pass MOT.
Some people say you can spray indicator bulbs to make them silver and it works. i might just do that. plus its free haha

No these are totally fine they have a chrome finish and do flash amber. Dont have to do anything to them they are ready to go. MOT friendly, no issue.

Good shout, i didnt realise they flashed amber. Just ordered silvatec bulbs all round, £17 for fronts, rears, and side repeater bulbs!

Been trying to change my numberplate lights aswel. got one screw out no problem. The other one is unbelievably stiff, isnt moving at all. So in the process of trying to get it out, ive chewed the head up big style.
Any ideas how i might get it out?

Been trying to change my numberplate lights aswel. got one screw out no problem. The other one is unbelievably stiff, isnt moving at all. So in the process of trying to get it out, ive chewed the head up big style.
Any ideas how i might get it out?

When I have a mashed up crosshead screw, if poss I try and create a slot so i can use a flat blade driver to get the screw out, even it I have to use a 2 or 3 mm HSS bit in a drill to do it.....

The screw is absolutely tiny, cant get anything in there. Its hard enough getting a screw driver on the head properly because its at an angle

ah.....sometmes a diff size crosshead will give you better leverage, try much small or much bigger. Failing that you could try drilling the screwhead off altogether, removing the cover and then removing the remains of the srew. Messy and you gotta be careful though....