Why are my wipers shockingly bad?! Aero upgrade available?

Az

Hard slammed!
Reaction score
Why are the wipers so bad on my a4?! I have a 2001 model so have the old style metal bodied wiper blades. Now when I first bought my car back in July the wipers juddered and squilled constantly and drove me mad, so I bought a brand new pair of genuine audi wiper blades thinking that would solve the problem and give me a nice smooth wiper action, but no, they literally lasted a couple of weeks before they started doing the same all over again.

I've looked into getting the later spec aero type wiper blades but the wiper arms need to be upgraded in order to fit them, which works out at over £100 to change my wipers for a better set!

Surely there must be a way around this? Are there any aero wiper blades that are available on the Market that can use my existing old style wiper arms?

Any help appreciated,

Az

I'm not aware of any Aero blades that will fit the Audi specific wiper arms. It shouldn't cost you much over from £80 for a pair of arms with blades, well worth doing in every respect.

I never had a problem with the old blades squeaking, have you tried claying the screen? Also worth checking the mechanism is slowly seizing up.

The mechanism seems fine, it's not slow or anything, it just seems to be the passenger blade more than the drivers side, it just has to be raining quite a lot for the wipers not to squeal or judder, I can't have them on intermittent sitting in traffic for instance cos they drive me mad!

I might clay the screen, didn't think of that to be honest, it's never crossed my mind to clay my screen, Im always concerned what goes onto the windscreen in case it makes a mess of the screen and makes it worse.

I got my mate to get prices for me on the later spec arms and blades and they came in at over £100 from audi, think it was more near £120 if I remember rightly, mad money for new wipers!

These wiper specific arms are a pain in the ****!

Agree with quattrojames on this, just upgraded to B7 wiper arms and blades, when changing also tok the opportunity to free off and re-lubricate all he mechanisms/hinges etc....

Incredible difference now...

do they judder on the upwards or downwards stroke? maybe could just do with bending slightly. if you look at the rubber blades when theyve sweeping the screen, on the upwards stroke theyve supposed to fold to one side then as they change direction they fold to the other side. quite often judder is caused by the blade not folding over on the change of direction, but staying the same up and down the screen.
a tweek, bend/twist of the wiper arm to help the angle the blade sits at quite often helps with this.

Yeah I know what you mean mate, but I checked the rubbers of the blades when I washed it and they are still nice and supple so god knows what it is. Looks like I'll have to take the plunge and fork out for a set of later / b7 arms and blades then! I prefer aero blades anyway, they last a lot longer, look better, smoother, and quieter.

I know it's been mentioned already but your screen is probably contaminated with rubbish so a good polish / clay will help for sure - also, try some of the rain repllant liquid on your screen, I used some last year and basically I could drive in a thunder storm at 80mph on the M1 without my wipers on at all - it was wicked!

Just checked my invoice from Audi for the B7 arms and blades, £85 + VAT, to be fair though, you could get the blades cheaper elsewhere.... arms were £26 + vat each....

As mentioned give your screen a good clean, then wipe your blades down with vinegar - works a treat :thumbsup:

Remember that although both blades are the same size they are sided, as i recently found out after having a noisey o/s blade,as said same size different part numbers, once the right ones were on the right arms the noise stopped instantly.

Remember that although both blades are the same size they are sided, as i recently found out after having a noisey o/s blade,as said same size different part numbers, once the right ones were on the right arms the noise stopped instantly.

aha. that would explain a previous issue I had. Is this the case for both standard and aero blades?

not sure on the aeros but the standard B6 blades are 8E2955425A O/S and 8E0955425A N/S