help im desperate

mtwallet28

Reaction score
im hoping someone on here can help me. i just fitted new timing belt kit and water pump on my 2001 2.0 sport and i just cant bleed the cooling system.ive opened the bleed screw on the top pipe, run the car up to temp,tried all sorts of ways but no matter what i try it doesnt work. the symptoms are:- car up to temp on gauge (90) and stays there doesnt go up and the fan doesnt kick in, heater blows cold and the rad is stone cold although there is water in it. my thoughts are a stuck thermostat but its only just over a year old. any ideas would be much appreciated

If the stat was working before it must be ok now.Could there be a blockage not an airlock?I would flush out and see if any muck comes out which you may have disturbed and caused the blockage

ive already put a hose through heater matrix and rad and they were both clear, it just doesnt seem to be flowing from engine to the rad for some strange reason.i had the issue with cold heater before thats why i did the water pump and timing belt (wasnt long before it was due anyway) but i never noticed if the rad was cold before

It sounds like it could have an air lock somewhere, that would cause similar problems you are describing but how long are you running the engine for? and are you putting some revs on to get the coolant moving around the engine? are both the heater pipes going into the matrix cold?

ive been running the engine for 20 min or so after it reached operating temp, tried revving to get it moving and the pipes going to the matrix are just warm.had a look in haynes and it shows that the switch/sensor on thermostat housing is a heater element? and to test thermo i have to put it in a bowl of boiling water and connect a 12v supply to the terminals, it also says if there is any doubt on the operation of the thermo to just renew it as theyre not expensive to replace lmao. dealer only and about 50 odd quid, think ill order 2 just in case lol

Seems like the stat has been stuck open for some time and I would renew.If you get the old one out and it seems shut you could try testing it but changing it is best

thanks for the ideas everyone, got it sorted today, was an airlock. a mate of mine brought his vacuum purge kit and sorted it in less than 10 mins ( what a great bit of kit) gonna invest in one of these