Still loose steering.... (groan)

QuottroA4

Reaction score
If anyone could point me in the right direction there would definately be a drink in it for them!!
frown.gif

I have still got a problem with my steering being loose as when I am stationary you can move the wheel quite a bit before the wheels move. Its worth mentioning that I have to turn the wheel more that you should need to when cornering and that I have to consently make minor adjustments when driving.

The problem used to be worse as it used to 'track off' down any groves in the road and or potholes etc. Since then I have replaced the steering rack, track road ends, shocks and all the suspension arms!! oh and 4 wheel alignment...

So, question is, what else could it be?? Somebody suggested that it could be the subframe that is loose? Any ideas peeps?
banghead.gif

Is the subframe tight as you mention
wheel bearings
steering wheel on shaft tight

power steering =pump not working all the time /low on fluid /belt loose

Can the subframe cause this then? Come to think of it do you need to remove the subframe when fitting a clutch on a Quattro as I had mine done late last year along with a new DMF..

Dont think the wheel is loose on the shaft, if it was the bearing wouldn't it make a right din when driving?

Re the PSP, I hope its not that as there ££££££!

its just a thought
wheel bearings yes hum of some sort
have you jacked the car up and checked for play .grab the wheel at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and move in and out also at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock
also you can try rocking the steering from left to right and some one look under the car to see what is moving too much do this with the engine off

The subframe doesn't need to be removed to do a clutch on a quattro. I know i did not have to take it off to do mine. You have prob replaced most things that would cause a steering/ handling prob but have you checked the steering wheel center nut is fully tight ? Is there any wear on the splines between the wheel and the shaft? I would be looking closely at the steering column to see if there are any problems there to check when you move the wheel is the shaft moving in time without delay.

Maybe a long shot how about the suspension top mount worn that may be the pulling when in ruts because it will change the geometry of the car if not it's going to be a long process this trying to pick this problem hope you get it soon mate