Chris NottJMB Retrofits
    T0m
    2nd Gear

Status

Oil Pick up issues on a 1.8t your thoughts...

Spoke to an independant VW/Audi garage today and they said as long as your on a regular yearly oil/filter change you shouldnt have a problem and the first port of call should be a flush of your oil with a good quality flushing agent.

He said that he wouldnt go replacing the oil pick up filter unless you really have to due to the sump being silicon sealed etc so a good flush in the first instance would suffice. He also said that if your not having any problems to leave it alone, of cause unless you get the oil warning light come on....just wanted to know what your thoughts are on this, is it a good idea to use a good flushing agent and flush the system or get the filter replaced as i can see pro's and cons of each....

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    My own experience is that my flushing the engine actually caused me to have the oil pick up blockage issue, though I'm kind of pleased I did.

There is a certain logic to what you've been told, and certainly frequent oil and filter changes are a must for this engine.

I also use a bigger oil filter, it's from a VW Transporter van I understand, which effectively gives you half a litre more engine oil in the system. I get mine from GSF.

Cleaning the oil pan, or changing the oil pump/strainer is a big job not because of the silicon sealed sump, but because you have to drop the sub frame to get it off.

So, whether to flush or not? on a younger car with a good history of oil changes, it probably isn't necessary. On an older car like mine was with a long life service history, not so sure. It probably needed it, but then again seemed to cause my pump strainer to get blocked. It's probably better to leave whatever is stuck to the sump in there in that case...
    Audi S3 - 2002MY - Denim Blue - Gone
    VW Polo GTI - 2011MY - Candy White - Here

CMD
    Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

Status
    Do a search on this forum as this as been covered a few time's, some a4s are on a long life service plan (2years) which should be binned. 1.8T's oil and filter should be changed ever 6 month's as my argument is the price of a oil and filter change twice a year is peace of mind as a new or rebuilt engine will cost you.
    AUDI A4 190T S-LINE.

WWW.PR-DETAILING.CO.UK CERTIFIED DETAILERS

T0m
    2nd Gear

Status
    CMD, I've read the posts on here over the past few years and my car is regulary serviced every year since ive had it so im thinking the best thing to do is up the frequency of an oil and filter change and keep it at that, I only do about 10/11k a year in it now and it was even less than that when i was with the ex and used her company car all the time.

CMD

Status
    I drop the oil every six month's with out fail. I use my car once a week if that 100ish a year on two lot's of oil and filter's is not bad. I the same i use the wife's/my VW Polo 6n2 for the short trip to work.
    AUDI A4 190T S-LINE.

1st Gear

Status
    most of the problems with oil pick up problems is due to neglect!
    1/oil change frequency
    2/poor quality oil
    3/letting oil get low all the time
    4/and the most frequent not letting car cool down the oil carbonises and this is what blocks the strainer and results in no or low oil pressure

i change my oil every 10000mls with the larger modified filter and fully synthetic oil(5w40 platinum)
    there is no signs of carbon build up in cam cover and oil is reletively clean on changes

CMD

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by towcestervag View Post
    most of the problems with oil pick up problems is due to neglect!
    1/oil change frequency
    2/poor quality oil
    3/letting oil get low all the time
    4/and the most frequent not letting car cool down the oil carbonises and this is what blocks the strainer and results in no or low oil pressure

i change my oil every 10000mls with the larger modified filter and fully synthetic oil(5w40 platinum)
    there is no signs of carbon build up in cam cover and oil is reletively clean on changes

This is very true the Larger filter is the one to get. 068115561f is the part number
    Last edited by CMD; 22nd January 2011 at 12:19.
    AUDI A4 190T S-LINE.