2.5tdiQ fuel filter

JimLoskot

Reaction score
The car has been stinking of diesel last few days so had a look and there is diesel ontop of the fuel filter so I have got another filter and new valve (the pipes look ok, no splits etc..)
I have never changed a fuel filter before so have a couple of questions:
can I fill the new filter up with the diesel from the old filter?
if not what is the best way to get diesel to fill it up with?
do I need to bleed the fuel lines and how do I do this?
anything else need to know?

thanks very much
Jim

when i did mine it went ok, what i did was remove all the pipes from the filter top, unclamp and change the filter then poured in new diesel from a tub bought from garage, plug all pipes back on and restart engine. I could here any air in the system self bleed out. Checked the Old diesel and put it back into fuel tank, it was clear and nothing in it. no further problems.
I was nervous too about doing it as you here stories of the car not starting afterwards but nothing like that happened to me. im told that a short tow will start if you have problems

well just putting the spring clip back ontop of the valve and ping, off it went into the engine bay. damn it!
will be taking the bottom off and hopefully it will be an easy find.

Actualy the tow start IS the best way to expell air from the VP44 pump. You do much worse to the starter, battery and pump diaphragm by cranking it in the hope it will start... Trust me, i am working with diesels for a very long time...

well good news, I finally found it, just as I was about to give up. The valve was still leaking so I put the new valve on as well and it started up 1st time no problem.
Very pleased

Sorry to dis agree bleeding is the best way to get rid of air out of your fuel system not to tow start it, that is just me i may not have worked with diesels as long as some but i would not tell some one who i dont KNOW there ability to tow start it

Last edited: