Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

2.5tdiQ fuel filter

The car has been stinking of diesel last few days so had a look and there is diesel ontop of the fuel filter so I have got another filter and new valve (the pipes look ok, no splits etc..)
    I have never changed a fuel filter before so have a couple of questions:
    can I fill the new filter up with the diesel from the old filter?
    if not what is the best way to get diesel to fill it up with?
    do I need to bleed the fuel lines and how do I do this?
    anything else need to know?

thanks very much
    Jim
    2.5 tdi Quattro sport - PhatBox - DIS - Cruise - RS4 ARB - Remap - and a few other minor mods/retrofits
    2.0 TFSI A4 b7 cab - completely std for now... (the wife's car)

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    when i did mine it went ok, what i did was remove all the pipes from the filter top, unclamp and change the filter then poured in new diesel from a tub bought from garage, plug all pipes back on and restart engine. I could here any air in the system self bleed out. Checked the Old diesel and put it back into fuel tank, it was clear and nothing in it. no further problems.
    I was nervous too about doing it as you here stories of the car not starting afterwards but nothing like that happened to me. im told that a short tow will start if you have problems
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

1st Gear

Status
    thanks for that, just off to buy some diesel then
    2.5 tdi Quattro sport - PhatBox - DIS - Cruise - RS4 ARB - Remap - and a few other minor mods/retrofits

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by swarcup View Post
    im told that a short tow will start if you have problems
    DO NOT TOW START YOUR CAR! first bleed the filter and pump and then to the injectors tow starting with an air lock in WILL damage your PUMP do not DO IT!

Hope the people that took me DIE

1st Gear

Status
    well just putting the spring clip back ontop of the valve and ping, off it went into the engine bay. damn it!
    will be taking the bottom off and hopefully it will be an easy find.

6th Gear

Status
    Actualy the tow start IS the best way to expell air from the VP44 pump. You do much worse to the starter, battery and pump diaphragm by cranking it in the hope it will start... Trust me, i am working with diesels for a very long time...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

1st Gear

Status
    well good news, I finally found it, just as I was about to give up. The valve was still leaking so I put the new valve on as well and it started up 1st time no problem.
    Very pleased

2nd Gear

Status
    Sorry to dis agree bleeding is the best way to get rid of air out of your fuel system not to tow start it, that is just me i may not have worked with diesels as long as some but i would not tell some one who i dont KNOW there ability to tow start it
    Last edited by A4 nut; 22nd January 2011 at 19:00.

Hope the people that took me DIE