What headlights are mine? Halogens or Xenons?

crazypainter

Reaction score
Website
www.crazypainter.com
Beginners question I am guessing but what are my lights, Halogen or Xenon? Make is Valeo.And the difference?

DSCF0279-1.jpg

look like halogen to me, but i'm starting to doubt it as theres loads of lights on ebay that look/are halogen but are listed as xenon?

I believe these are factory fitted. Its a bit confusing as surely its just the gas type used in the bulb? but that doesnt explain what type of headlight unit I have?

They look like halogen. An easy way to tell is if they flicker when you turn them on?

halogen you have no headlight washers

id say they are halogen as no washers in bumper

the grill looks like a caractere grill

Assuming that is the orginal top bumper, then that car had Halogen's out of the factory.

OEM Xenon's have washer's (legal requirement) and when they switch on and pan up and then back down when they auto-level (another legal requirement).

The only way to tell when they are retro fitted is to either check the headlight units for ballass or a bit easier would be to get somebody else to switch the lights on and watch them come on: if they go on fainter and then build to a full high intensity pure white beam, Halogens can be fairly white or blue, but will come on straight on and stay at the same intensity.

Defo not xenons - as above no washers and visually they look different. Also xenons self level when you turn them on (very noticable)

you'd know if they were xenons when turning them on in a dark area, as it looks like something off batman. A4's come with projector headlights either way so look similar and upgrading is fairly easy, if youre not fussed about self leveling and washers.

How do they 'self level'? I have just put xenon bulbs in and chrome indicator bulbs as i cant stand that orange look from the normal bulbs,,,,,

How do they 'self level'?

Self levelling sensors at front and rear (on suspension I think) and then to a central control unit which adjust the headlight via motors.
Xenon headlight motors have 4 wire control and the standard Halogen motors via manual 0/1/2/3 switch level control is via 3 wires to the respective headlight motors.
Expensive to retrofit unless you just happen to have a donar vehicle lying around!