Brake upgrade

Quattro180

Reaction score
Need to change the front discs and pads soon, shall I get uprated discs and pads. Where should I look for them ? Car is a 2.5 avant 180 sport, Tiptronic.

Cheers

Same question here from me: manual saloon, but same engine, same brakes, etc.

Personally I found the OEM ones pretty good, but I had these as "an option":

Brembo Slotted FS.145.000: €335 is the Brembo catalogue price though :(
312mm diameter, 25mm thickness.

I've had the cross-drilled versions of these (Brembo x-drilled version of the S-line, albeit in a smaller shape) on a previous car (Mk3 Golf) and found them to be very effective direct swap for the OEM parts and fitted into the existing calipers, etc... although the insurance premium increase was NOT appreciated, so bear that in mind.

Also, does anybody know the exact spec of the rear brakes for these cars?
I've seen 245-260mm and 10mm-12mm quoted from various catalogues...

TBH, with the insurance premium hike from last time in mind, I'm likely to go 100% OEM.

Last edited:
What about the B5 or B6 S4 calipers. discs and pads? I have heard that this could be a cheaper option but i dont know where i can get hold of them?

just stick to Audi genuine discs and pads, these brakes are ok, if you start to muck about with them and have a crash, your insurance company will check them and if they are altered you will get hammered its not worth it, even if you think you have put better set on on they will question the validity of the fitting be careful not worth playing about with them, my opinion

Paul.

^ you have to delcare ANY mods to the insurance company - I have debated it with a few companies, but their argument was that modified discs put you in a different demographic, with a different risk category: so you have to pay more and most insurers will still only replace the parts with OEM spec for your car's make and model.

So you could spend £3k on a set of Brembo GT's, pay more on your insurance and if you end up in a minor knock-for-knock claim, then you'd have to buy the brakes all over again.

Alternatively you could get a set of relatively cheap EBC greenstuff pads and their gold "grooved and dimpled" discs (NOT RECOMMENDED!), not declare it to the insurance company and any accident you were in, could potentially leave you completely uninsured.

I ran some EBC grooved and dimpled discs along with some Ferodo DS2500 pads on my old A3 quattro, and the improvement over the OEM setup was very noticeable. The discs also stayed arrow straight for 20,000 miles and looked hardly worn whereas the OEM ones went out of true a lot quicker.

On the A4 though, I'd just go OEM, as the brake setup is pretty decent anyway. When my current OEM stuff wears out, I will look about, but will probably stick with original stuff or maybe Brembo discs.

Incidentally, regarding declaring brake upgrades to insurers, yes it is recommended. If they are looking at charging you more for it though, I would change companies. The A3 I mentioned above was actually written off in a no fault accident. I hadn't declared the 'mods' as the discs were the same size as the original setup, as were the callipers etc. It was never an issue for the insurer.

If you think about it, what's the difference between choosing a better quality disc/pad that isn't OEM versus some of the cheapest possible aftermarket replacements fitted by a lot of well known independent garage chains? They're still different to stock after all...

I have just bought a set of S4 brakes for the front and back. Diameter 320mm in the front + 288 at the back. Brand new ferodo discs + pads + the calipers reconditioned to any colour i want. Not cheap, but I heard that the improvement is priceless. Especially when you want to fit a big turbo + IC like me, remember, safety first

Hi Mlody could I ask if you dont mind were you got your brakes set up from and how much it cost?