Any advice on doing suspension?

Cviji

Reaction score
I apoligise if this topic has been done to death, but ive done a good search and cant find much on actually fitting of springs/shocks.

Planning on putting a set of sport shocks and Koni springs on my B6 next weekend. Just wondering, does anyone whos changed theirs themselves got any tips? I did the same when I had my B5 a couple of years ago.. Had a quick look around with the wheel off and the setup looks fairly similar?

Also, whats the deal with wheel alignment? Are most garages able to correct this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fitting .

whats the deal with wheel alignment? Are most garages able to correct this?

Use this company, just type in your post code for your nearest Hunter Wheel Alignment center.

www.AlignMyCar.co.uk

I apoligise if this topic has been done to death, but ive done a good search and cant find much on actually fitting of springs/shocks.

Planning on putting a set of sport shocks and Koni springs on my B6 next weekend. Just wondering, does anyone whos changed theirs themselves got any tips? I did the same when I had my B5 a couple of years ago.. Had a quick look around with the wheel off and the setup looks fairly similar?

Also, whats the deal with wheel alignment? Are most garages able to correct this?

I would go this way and you dont have to undo the painfull double balljoint link
FRONT;
(obviously removed wheel first)

Undo antiroll bar link (16mm)
Undo and remove bottom strut nut and bolt (18mm) and move the shocker over the wishbone
Now from under the bonnet undo the 3 16mm bolts holding the the top cup in place.
Now spin the hole strut round and undo the 16mm nut and bolt from the wishbone (cup end) then spin it round a but more and undo the other 16mm nut and bolt and there you have your strut.See pics
a4avant010.jpg

a4avant014.jpg

a4avant016.jpg

a4avant020.jpg

Once you have changed the spring and shocker over build bac up in reverse order

REAR:
(obviously removed wheel first)

I took off the rear caliper so I didnt stretch the flexi
Undo Rear shocker at the bottom (22mm)
Undo rear anti rollbar link 16mm
On the top link the is an 18mm nut and bolt BEFORE undoing this Mark as its offset bolt for the cast/camber. Then remove
I still had to bar down the rear arm a little to get the spring out

rebuild in reverse order and make sure you line the camber nut back up

Hope this helps

That does help, many thanks mate :thumbsup:

Aah, I was struggling to get to the top arm bolts due to lack of a second flat 16mm spanner, So I decided to take on the double ball joint nut and bolt and it ****** snapped! brilliant...

Unlucky DIY is a pain sometimes :(

I hope the bolt comes out I have had to drill a few out. You need to be very careful and accurate if you need to drill it out. I take the lot out and do it in my drill press but getting it set up right is a pig of a job.