Advice on valuing 2003 A4 2.5TDi

DavieMac

Reaction score
Unsure if such posts are permitted however following a discussion/arguement it's been decided the Audi has to go as it's proving too costly for what the O.H uses it for... ie the school run and so it's time to move the old battlebus on, but not being an Audi man at heart I could use a little advice just to ensure I'm pitching it around the right sort of figure. Please note: the car isn't currently for sale so this isn't a far sale ad... merely just need guidance from the resident experts.

2003 Audi A4
2.5TDI (unsure if 163bhp or 180bhp.... help!)
Silver in colour
145,000 miles
1 years MOT and 6 months tax
In average condition - some minor scratches and o/s/r door has been painted at some point
Standard car aside for 18" R8 replica alloy wheels
Recent battery, coolant temp sensor, fuel filter and front wheel bearings.
Aircon and all electrics work fine

On the downside:
Cambelt will be due for renewal in 15,000 miles
Service history isn't stamped over past couple of years (her dad's a mechanic)
Rear wheel bearing appears to be getting noisey.
It's hardly what I'd deem "cherished" but is honest and straight

Having had a check on Pistonheads and so on, I was thinking/hoping for a figure around the £3,500 mark in order to secure a fairly quick sale...?

Opinions...? Too much...? Not enough? Appreciate a car's worth what somebody is willing to pay but being new to this Audi malarky, I'm not entirely sure how desireable these things are. Truth be told, I just want it gone so it can be replaced with something cheaper to run and insure as two large/dear cars in teh household isn't making financial sense!

Thanks in advance gents

£3,500 should secure a pretty quick sale, I paid £3,750 for a 92K 1.9TDI Quattro Sport Avant about 9 months ago....

Hard to gauge a price without actually seeing the car but sounds a little on the cheap side to me, depends on how quick you want to shift it TBH :thumbsup:

avant / saloon? avant's are worth more 2nd hand...

2003, but what plate (seems silly, but it can make a difference).

any idea if it's an S, SE or Sport model? (interior + exterior pics will help or find it on the V5c document)

manual or auto?

Given the "battlebus" comment, I'd guess "avant": so based on a S (standard=base), 2003, 03 plate, manual on 70k (PARKERS LINK), then Parkers say: £4500-£5700.

Have a look on Autotrader (LINK): £3500 is getting high mileage B5 that meet that Avant + 2.5TDI filter and rememebr the B5's and earlier B6's are the 155bhp engine too.

£3.5k-£4.5k is getting various 130k-160k B6 2.5TDI's.

With the patchy service history and "non-cherished, but straight" status, £3500 will probably get you a fast sale, but £4300ish fishing for around £3800 probably is probably still viable.

Not sure what is "allowed", but it's probably worth getting her dad to fill in service history with work done and his details and they can take that as they see it: it's better than nothing!

A friend sold a fairly standard S reg, A3 1.8T Sport for £2850, despite Parkers value only being about £2200 just 'cos he was happy to wait a month to sell it.

Appreciate the feedback

The car's a 2wd saloon, unsure on the spec as I don't have access to the V5 (elec windows all round, aircon, fully colour coded bumpers but no cruise control... if that helps!) It was registered Jan 2003 which would make it an 03 plate (?) however it's currently on a private plate. It's a 6spd manual and that's about all I can say. It's not immaculate and nor does it have a comprehensive service history (stopped in 2007) but it does appear to be in good shape for it's mileage and age.

It's being MOT'd as we spek, so depending how terrible the outcome will dictate the next move but I suppose if all goes well and a couple of days TLC are directed it's direction, then pitching it a little higher and being prepared to come and go would make sense.

That or part ex it for something a little more suited to the needs.

Thanks for you assistance once again

Davie

And the MOT scores are in:

1) O/S/F upper balljoint has excessive movement
2) N/S/R tyre is incorrect size (it has the spare on it currently)
3) O/S/R brake caliper is partially seized/handbrake isn't very good on that side
4) Number plate bulb isn't working
5) One brake light isn't working - bit annoying as it works 90% of the time, but the MFD keeps sayings it#s not. Poor connection maybe...

Can live with that... not bad all things considered.

number plate bulb can be a massive pain, see here:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...s/104699-number-plate-light-bulb-holders.html
brake light bulb will be just the bulb, get a new one and it'll be fine
rear brake caliper seized will be a hole in the boot seal and moistures gotten in like mine, you can get the seals for I think a tenner to do both rear calipers, not done mine yet but its the next job to do

Well, having questioned the other half a little more vigorously it transpires that it didn't actually fail on the bulbs as the reverse light came back to life with a smack (technical!) and the brake light decided to start working of it's own accord. Having read that link, I suspect that it could also create issues with the tailgate as once in a blue moon it refuses to open first time... perhaps water ingress in the unit effecting it and the bulbs.

So, all that needs doing for the MOT is the a tyres, the o/s/f upper balljoint which I assume is a complete arm on them due to the uber complex suspension (any ideas on the complexity involved in replacing it... easy DIY or a bit of a *******?) and finally the o/s/f caliper which seems to be a fairly straight forwards task, more time consuming than anything.

Cheers

Just to dredge this one back up...

I've since discovered it's the front upper (rear) arm that has a worn balljoint but from what I gather, this can be replaced with the strut in situ however the double balljoint pinch bolt can be a complete ******* to remove?

I can get a replacement arm for circa £21.00 but can anybody offer any advice before I undertake this job... such as "don't"

Regards