Which upgrade headlight bulbs for my 53 plate b6?

allyp

Reaction score
Hi as above which bulbs should i get to upgrade the headlights on my b6 ,they are poo lol,quantity would be helpful too please cheers ally

I went for Osram Night Breakers for my dipped and main beams. The main beams are awesome but the dipped are still not great. I might get a HID kit sometime to replace the halogen dipped bulbs.

Thanks m8 ,i was looking at them H7 are they ?

yes they are h7 mate but id say dont bother just put HIDs in it you will in the end :)

Ill look into the hid kit,not heard that many good reports and means removing them for mot time mmmm

I don't no of any one on here that takes them out for MOTs as its not an MOT fail and there is a good few on here who's cars have been throu mot s with them in and had no probs at all :)

The new law im sure,they are being made illegal this year m8 ,may be wrong but sure i saw a link to the dvla site regarding it,think ill stick with the bulbs for now cheers for the info

I'd go for PIAA bulbs at demon tweeks, draw 55w and produce 110w. Had them in dipped and main beam.
Realy good!

I've always heard good things about PIAA too, if I was going for halogen bulbs it would be them.

Slightly off topic, but can anyone confirm whether HID kits are going to be illegal, I was planning on fitting some factory spec 4300K ones to the new headlight units I have just ordered, plus how would an MOT tester know you had them fitted? Surely they just check the beam pattern and so long as that's OK the surely it should pass????

Technically they're illegal if you don't fit headlamp washers and an auto-levelling system. Most MOT testers will just assume they're factory fitted HIDs and as long as the beam pattern is ok then they'll probably pass your car.

If you get stopped by the local constabulary and they book you for having xenons but no washers or auto-levelling then you can count yourself extremely unlucky. Same goes for an MOT tester being that picky.

There's a thread running at the moment with a link to the proposed new Mot Regulations. From 01 Jan 2012 they will fail an Mot, often the ballasts are visible and clearly retrofitted, if they're hidden under the light in the oem space then it would be harder to tell - although of course bulb colour and start up flicker are pretty obvious - especially if you haven't got washers and suspension levelling. Time will tell...

Here's the thread:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...s/110328-do-i-have-can-bus-wiring-system.html

I've always heard good things about PIAA too, if I was going for halogen bulbs it would be them.
have just seen the price of them - WOW
I've got the osram night breaker plus, they are noticably better than oem bulbs and can be had off ebay for just over a tenner for a pair

Think i mite buy the night breakers too ,just looked at the piaa ones christ there dear

Cheapest Osram Nightbreakers plus on ebay are £15.50 inc P&P, not checked to see if you can get them any cheaper anywere else.

thanks m8 so i need 4xH7 bulbs and 2x501 sidelight bulbs is that right ?

Last edited:
Cheapest Osram Nightbreakers plus on ebay are £15.50 inc P&P, not checked to see if you can get them any cheaper anywere else.
yes you're correct there, my mistake for scanning the page and making assumptions. Damn sight cheaper than the PIAA's anyway and give out a good light.
got these on both of our cars.
Think you'll struggle to find them any cheaper

Are the Nightbreaker Plus any brighter than normal Nightbreakers?

well i ordered the bulbs so we will see if any good ,which sidelight bulbs would i need to match them 501s but shud i get the led ones or other thanks

Most people with HID's will run LED sidelights, hopefully someone with Nightbreakers can help with their colour. My Nightbreaker Fogs are very yellow next to my 6000k HID's.