Usual Tread wear ... Nearly Died!

Nutkin

Reaction score
Had a Blow Out last night managed to hold it and get the greenflag out to rescue.

Got the wheel off and it appears on the tread its all fine until right at the end there is a CM or 2 worn right down, Same on the other front tyre only hasn't burst yet! Rears are fine!

I'd have though tracking problems would leave it worn on the edges but specifically 1cm in is a bit weird. Any thoughts on this?

Sounds like your running negative camber. Is your car lowered.?

Camber_Explanation.jpg

Getting the tracking sorted should sort it out though :)

nope, its all standard :/ hence why im a bit miffed at this, was coming off the A46 in cov though so thank god it didnt blow at the 70mph i was doing 5 seconds before.

Quattro's do seem to have a tendancy to wear the inside (and sometimes outside) edges. Its worth getting a four wheel alignment done, as even a little bit out seems to cause big undue wear, it won't eliminate it, but will minimise it. Until you hit the next pothole at least....

I drove 600miles with incorrect tracking, and managed to scrub about 3mm of tread off one shoulder of the tyre.

And yes, it was only right on the shoulder, rest of the tyre was fine.

Fixed the tracking and its been fine since.

I've had to pick up a perfectly bogo a3tdi quattro before it was a year or two old and all 4 tyres were knackered on the inside edges down to canvas so yeah quattro's will eat tyres if left to it

did the tracking today it wasnt far out , but to have them change all 4 tyres and do 4wheel allignment for 60 quid so not to bad.

i had the exact same issue with my 2.5 quattro, surprised i didn't have a blow out!

Went to change the front tyres on my S3, the guy at the tyre place who is a good friend said the rear tyres needed doing too. Seemed strange as there was good tread on them but he pointed out the inside edge was gone and this was usual for S3's (his used to do it....)

When we got them off one was bad ish, the other was HORRENDOUS, (see pics!)
Never seen anything like it (at least on a car I've been driving).Wondered why the back kept on coming out!!

IMG_3471.jpg

IMG_3470.jpg

So I assume I shoud now get four wheel alignment done, the back can be adjusted right? Why do the quattro's do this?

yeah on s3's, tts etc... the rear toe can be adjusted by moving the carrier for the trailing arm bush. you undo the 4 16mm bolts holding the bush carrier to the car and you can move it to the left and right to adjust it.

thats really bad guys omg ...do all quattros do this as i feel the back steps out on my a4 ?cheers ally

thats really bad guys omg ...do all quattros do this as i feel the back steps out on my a4 ?cheers ally

On my S3 in the dry no probs but as soon as it was slightly moist the back was ready to come out, but having seen the tyres I have been running I'm not surprised!

Now with new tyres the rear end feels MUCH better but I need to get the alignment done ASAP otherwise ill be going through lots of rear tyres!

mine feels similar m8,id better get the tyres checked me thinks ,thanks for the info