1.9tdi 100bhp, 115bhp, 130bhp

p1tse

Reaction score
1.9tdi 100bhp, 115bhp, 130bhp

what makes the difference, assuming same engine, different turbo, remap etc.?

what's the general opinion on each, is the 100bhp lacking, does the 130bhp result in less mpg
best balance of mpg and performance?

iv got the 100bph i think although i was told it was 115 by the car show room i got it from any how the 100 bph is better on mpg but id dont think there is much in it and still has the same touq as the 130 i believe so it pulls the same as far as i no any way some times id like a bit more of a kick but thats easy to get with a re map ;-)

130 is the best in my opinion, best combination of power/economy and even better when chipped.... also later versions come with the 6 speed box, 100 and 115's are all 5 speeds....

ah cool

so what makes the difference, what do each map to on a stage 1 generic map?

didn't know that about the 130 later models being 6 gears

anyway to tell, does it mention model on v5 etc.?
i assume tax is the same for all.

tax band for the 100bph is f £68 for 6mths or £120 a year and the 130 bph is band g not surre how much

130 is the best allround engine! my quattro is remaped to 175 and to be honist is still getting really good mpg unless i flog it every time i get in it! the 100 i find is a bit flat but good on fuel! i can get 650 miles on a run on a full tank in the 130 about 500 miles on a tank on my 7 mile trip to work and back urban driving! its horses for courses really! all engines are super reliable so its all about what suits you! sir ooooof!

as we all will say what ever one you end up with you will be happy with it this i can say for sure as for the power the torque is 210 on the 100 the 115 and the 130 so its just the bph thats not and what ever one you get you can change that on if your not happy with it. as for mpg on a run mine will happly 700 to 750 miles on a tank but im not lead footed lol

as we all will say what ever one you end up with you will be happy with it this i can say for sure as for the power the torque is 210 on the 100 the 115 and the 130 so its just the bph thats not

That sounds strange, where did you get that info from?

read it on parkers when i was looking and also the auto trader you can see the spec but not sure i trust that one so much just when i was looking mate

Parkers quotes torque as:

100 = 250 NM
115 = 285 NM
130 = 285 NM

Strange.

I don't always trust Parkers though.

wow that is funny as i was under the impr i only had 210 oh well happy days lol

so looking at my book parkers is wrong 100 bph is 250 the 115 is 285 and the 130 is 310 stupid parkers lol

try €580 a year tax in Ireland. Saying that June 08 on is based on co2, so a 2.o diesel will only cost €150

i no i can hear all 98 of the buggers lol is a bit slow comperd to my old gsi 2000 but i can live with it for now ;-)

You can also find out what bhp or kw by the little paper sticker on the boot floor under the carpet if it's the same as a golf/passat that might help with any salesman ******** you might get.

100 Bhp 250Nm
115 Bhp 285Nm
130 Bhp AWX 285 Nm 5 speed manual
130 Bhp AVF 310 Nm (sport 6 speed manual)
130 Bhp AVF/AWX 285 Nm auto only.
There was no 115 Bhp pd engine fitted to the b6 audi a4 or audi a6 c5, the 115 Bhp ATJ engine was a passat b5 and audi a4 b5 only engine and prone to porous heads/overheating. They are not the same, the 130bhp got stronger rods and pistons. There is also the ARL 150 Bhp fitted in the golf, also different rods, injectors and turbo + agressive map and a 160 Bhp lump fitted to the seat ibiza cupra wich is a ARL with a factory remap.

To answer the original question (to to pick up on the next obvious question): I think they also have different clutches, I've seen a 100bhp 1.9TDI engine (in a late-model Polo) remapped to 150bhp... but it was frying the clutch that had <20k miles on it, even under careful accelleration.

Not sure if there was a difference in the number of intercoolers on the 100 / 115 / 130 bhp?

I'm pretty sure the difference is all in the torque and NOT in shape of the powerband (i.e. they have the same / broadly similar cam profiles!).

try &#8364;580 a year tax in Ireland. Saying that June 08 on is based on co2, so a 2.o diesel will only cost &#8364;150

Same as that.. makes me cry every 6 months. I think the cheap tax will steadily rise anyway when the Greens are outed... no win..

interesting replies.

but what makes the difference, map, turbo difference?

kinda forgot about how the clutch would take extra power and would assume standard would manage as long as no traffic light drag races LOL

what does the 100 and 130bhp map too then?
how else can you tell the difference?

I've been told that that the 130bhp would safely go up to 180bhp with out changing clutch and other bits etc

Real world that's not true. Mine was mapped to 170 and had a new LUK clutch fitted with a DMF at that point. The clutch lasted 6 months and I don't do sprint starts etc. Depending on the engine type the choice of replacement clutches is limited and when I fitted the new one, nobody could supply an uprated clutch for my car.

I recon it's the flywheel that's the problem not so much the clutch (ok other than the basic low hp car) I tune fords right and a focus st170 has dmf and they won't step past the 180 bhp mark without hammering the flywheel/clutch
Now they do however make a solid flywheel-and that is how you get past the power gremlin on that so I can only think that the laws of physics will be the same on a tdi i no also that a mate of mine matt works for jamsport in northampton and last i knew they were playing about with mk4 golf tdi they have pushed on past 250 bhp mark and i believe that is running solid flywheel and decent clutch if the power thing is what's up and your gonna buy a genuine clutch/dmf then maybe get on to jamsport see if they can help you And maybe advise on what clutch to use
Hope this helps mate

Real world that's not true. Mine was mapped to 170 and had a new LUK clutch fitted with a DMF at that point. The clutch lasted 6 months and I don't do sprint starts etc. Depending on the engine type the choice of replacement clutches is limited and when I fitted the new one, nobody could supply an uprated clutch for my car.
Well thats not true in all cases mines running 150bhp at the wheels and has been for 5 years
maybe you had a bad clutch .

out of interest, what's a rough guide price for clutch replacement all in?

Arnt 90bhp 100bhp and 115 bbhp the old golf engine these are proper diesel engines above this arnt they pd engines

well mine is the 100bph and its a pd engine and thats as much as i no lol

Well thats not true in all cases mines running 150bhp at the wheels and has been for 5 years
maybe you had a bad clutch .

Maybe mine would have lasted with 20bhp less who knows. The torque was just too much. Clutch would spin and it simply wore out the friction plates. I replaced the clutch and had the MAP altered as I could spin the new clutch from day one. Its running around 140 now and is fine. My advice would be not to go too high. The torque curve on the diesel is way different to a petrol, so if yours is petrol, then maybe that comes into play. Who knows? I learned an expensive lesson.

Maybe mine would have lasted with 20bhp less who knows. The torque was just too much. Clutch would spin and it simply wore out the friction plates. I replaced the clutch and had the MAP altered as I could spin the new clutch from day one. Its running around 140 now and is fine. My advice would be not to go too high. The torque curve on the diesel is way different to a petrol, so if yours is petrol, then maybe that comes into play. Who knows? I learned an expensive lesson.
Was your 170 @ the wheels ?
if so thats probably why it was slipping as you lose at least 20bhp through the transmission so you would have been mapped to 190bhp hence the clutch slip.
Mine is a Tdi but my quoted 150 figure is at the wheels as i mentioned so thats giving around 170 at the flywheel which is what most people quote .

Last edited:
these have DPFs?

if remapping causes issue on clutch, flywheel and gearbox, i'll rather run it standard.

100 Bhp 250Nm
115 Bhp 285Nm
130 Bhp AWX 285 Nm 5 speed manual
130 Bhp AVF 310 Nm (sport 6 speed manual)
130 Bhp AVF/AWX 285 Nm auto only.
There was no 115 Bhp pd engine fitted to the b6 audi a4 or audi a6 c5, the 115 Bhp ATJ engine was a passat b5 and audi a4 b5 only engine and prone to porous heads/overheating. They are not the same, the 130bhp got stronger rods and pistons. There is also the ARL 150 Bhp fitted in the golf, also different rods, injectors and turbo + agressive map and a 160 Bhp lump fitted to the seat ibiza cupra wich is a ARL with a factory remap.

does that mean the 115 being a non pd, therefore the 130 is worth the extra for reliability and build

Non pd engines found only on a4 b5:
-90hp(1Z,AHU and AHH) and 110hp(AFN and AVG)(95-2000) and late 116hp pd AJM (99-2000)

Pd engines found on b6:
-101hp and 131hp
101hp 250nm 5speed code AVB
131hp 285nm 5speed code AWX
131hp 310nm 6speed code AVF

Diference between 101hp and 131hp are turbo,injectors,diferent map,diferent internals,diferent flywheel and clutch,so they are a lot at diferences

So whats the difference between the AWX and AVF apart from an extra gear and 25nm? A different map?

Out of interest re clutches - I remapped a Golf 130 at 75K miles to about 165bhp and the clutch was still OK at 126K miles when I swapped the car!