2.5 v6 tdi dynamic pump timing!!!

Yappy

A4 b6 TDI V6 Quattro Sport
Reaction score
Hi all I need some help I have recently put my engine back together in my a4 2.5 v6 tdi now it runs lovely exept it's **** on fuel consumption (about 28 mpg ish that's taking it easyish) and I recon it's a bit down on power now two questions

What sort of mpg should I get out of it on a run (180 bhp avant quattro)

And would you all advise getting the dynamic pump timing done.
I no the boys at Fontain motors in Iver and they said I should take it in to em to have it sorted or at least checked

Or should I just take it to my other pal who's got a dyno and adjust it on the rollers for more power please any advice will be wicked cheers guys:thumbsup:

This seems too low mine averages 34 in mixed driving and well into the 40s on a run.My sons triptronic is downto 25 in mixed traffic and is smokey on starting which he blames on pump timing and intends to get sorted with a belt change soon

Manual or Auto?

My manual averages 33-36 mpg in daily use, A/B road, no motorways or town driving. When I had the engine rebuilt it took a few weeks for the consumption to match that of my last engine.

Worth getting the pump timing checked though if you've had all that work done.

Cheers lads I did the work myself the belt went in a big way 9 valves bent ooops so put it all back together and the turbo was shagged too so got a new turbo oh and it's on 4 new cams too

And yeah it's a Tiptronic 5 speed cheers

If you've only put it back together by marking the belt and pulley on the pump then it's 99% the culprit, the timing has to be checked and adjusted electronically for sure, if you have VCDS then you can do it yourself or get yourself round to North London and see "adamss24" on the forum he's a bit of a V6tdi guru:thumbsup:

edit:
he's always lurking around in the diesel forum so get yourself over there:ninja:

Last edited:
Haha yeah I've bin looking on my father inlaws vag com and I can't work the ****** out haha but I'm gonna have a play with it tomorrow and see what I can come up with
But yeah I did just mark the pulley up with paint and bolted it back together but it ain't like an old ford with a key way on the cam so if I cant do it I will be giving adamss24 a pm and a trip into deep east London haha cheers fella

Edited my original post mate it's North London not East for adamss24.

not used VCDS/Vagcom myself but get over to Rosstech for some info, has too be full version though not a £8.99 off ebay lite job

Yeah sorry mate I was working off rosstech vcds too but I think I've found what to do niw but the mechanic at Fontain said he is gonna do it for me at 1pm tomorrow so will let everyone no
A if it was out

B if it's better on mpg I will let ya all no