swap factory tow bar! from saloon to avant!

vorsprung dork

Reaction score
hi is it possible to swap my factory fitted detatchable towbar from my 1.9 tdi quattro saloon onto my 2.5 tdi sport avant? and if so how hard would it be!

If they both quattro then the towbar will fit just fine...You need to remove the bumper and splice-in wires for the socket feed...If you're not confident then i would let the wiring bit to a auto electrician.

no there not both quattro! but they both have the twin exhaust! on either side of the car set up!

Can't you check compatability with the manufacturer?

Failing that, Scott b might know.

that would be too easy and to be honest i dont belive a thing the stealers say! i would rather ask you chaps first to get the right answer!

as it was factory fitted i asume it was manufactured by audi it has the audi logo stamped on the detatchable tow ball thingy bit!

well its bumper off, which is a lot easier on the saloon than the avant, as with the avant you need to remove the panels in the boot and the sub/amp, getting those panels off and on are a pain, once the boot floor covering as been removed you will see to bolts either side on the chasie rail, its a case of undoing those bolts and pulling the bar out of the chasie, if its a genuin bar and been fitted correctly then the bolts will come out without the need to hold the nuts underneath 1 goes into an excisting threaded hole, the other one you are supposed to rivet a plate to the chasie which has a nut welded to it, but to fit tht you have to remove the exhaust so must ppl just use a normal m10 nut, lock washer and flat washer as it saves removing the exhust from the car completely, you will need to drop the exhaust down on the rear hangers. you will need to swap the bumper backings from one car to the other aswell.

will try and find the fitting instructions over the weekend and post a link up to them

it is a genuine audi towbar fitted by audi from new at a cost to the original owner of £899!!!! nice!! some people clearly have more money than brains! i cant thank you enough for that info! if you post a link with fitting instructions i may have to ejaculate in ones pants!

I kept the parts when they fitted my Westfalia; so I've got a spare rear bumper from a 2.5TDI Quattro Sport (not the outside skin, the metal part that you have to swap with the towbar cross-frame), you can have it if you know somebody who's driving Surrey to Durham (or want to pay the £25-ish to ship it to Durham).

It'll save you from having to do both cars at exactly the same time and at least then you'll know that the rear piece should fit since they're both quattro's.

PM me if you're interested or want pics to confirm what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
I am looking to get a towbar for my car (A4 Avant 1.9TDI sport) the westfalia detachable, with single 13 pin electrics, I went to Audi in bath they quoted me £1600 plus vat, my mouth hit the floor, what would I have to expected to pay to get this job done, I'm not far from bath Somerset/Avon if any Audi experts can help or even fit for me

Cheers

Paul.

I am looking to get a towbar for my car (A4 Avant 1.9TDI sport) the westfalia detachable, with single 13 pin electrics, I went to Audi in bath they quoted me £1600 plus vat, my mouth hit the floor, what would I have to expected to pay to get this job done, I'm not far from bath Somerset/Avon if any Audi experts can help or even fit for me

Cheers

Paul.

I had one those fitted westfalia swan neck detachable, £299 all in with electrics,,,
£1600 .... There having a f*+ki*G laugh !!!

Mine was done for about £450 (2months ago) for Westfalia detatchable, single electrics plus an extra 12V socket in the boot :)

They booked a 4 hour window (2pm-6pm) and it was done on my drive way in about 2 hours IIRC.

edit: I did try Digger's guys, but I think I contacted them and they were much the same price, but wanted me to bring the car up to them as I was out of their cachement area.

I think these guys (TOWBAREXPRESS.CO.UK) work nationwide and have a decent online "chat" with advisors who can help out and give you instant quotes online - plus some decent vids as to different type of towbars, pro's, cons, etc... and the video demo of the how easy the Westfalia is to use is 100% accurate :) Worth a look to get info, even if they don't do the best price. A friend who is really into his caravan hols says his caravan club all use them.

Last edited:
been looking on ebay, they've got the westfalia detachable ones for £160, will this be the same as what you guys have fitted?

model - 305206

I'm happy to fit myself as i need to mess with the rear bumper anyway

Managed to find the reciept, yes mate model 305206,,,, £290 supplied and fitted , on my drive !

Picture347.jpg

Last edited:
LOSTBOK I HAVE SENT YOU TWO PRIVATE MESSAGES!!! i am new to this site i have sent you two private messages regarding your very kind offer of that bumper part. i dont think you have recived them as my outbox is empty! i must be doing somthing wrong so i hope you read this! THE SITUATION IS! i am going to buy a new tow bar off ebay as they are only £160 and that way i only have one set of electrics to sort out!! i cant thank you enough for your kind offer and hope i can return the favour somtime. thanks again

I got your PM's.... sorry - been v busy @ work.

offer still stands until my missus spring-cleans the garage and bins it (and the original RARB, etc).