1.9 TDI models of 100k+ what needs to be considered for maintainance

check the waterpump has been done when the cambelt was last done

aside from that, the usual stuff: service schedule, oil changes, etc.

I've heard of turbo's needing to be replaced around 150k, but then some will do 200k without turbo issues at all (and still pull bang-on expected bhp figures on a rolling road!).

you looking at automatic or manual? if it's the multitronic, make sure it's had the 6plate to 7plate clutch conversion, which will set you back around £1500 if it's not been done!

I take it you're asking about the 1.9TDI quattro in the other post: especially with the quattro's, check there's no "shunting" from the drivetrain as you pull off and see how bad the rust is on the arches to see if it's a treatable and how much it woudl cost to sort out.

Otherwise that looks like a very decent car and factory in the high mileage against how worn the suspension feels and that it's had regular oil changes, etc.

Definitely a good spec to go for unless you're a real power junky, but remapped to 160-bhp easilly, it's a decent mix of less weight and better economy, I'd seriously be considering if I was buying mine again now: I got sucked in by the V6 purr and smoothness compared to the 4-pot 1.9TDI, but the fuel economy difference is significant and the outright pace isn't that different: certainly if you're comparing a remapped 1.9TDI vs an unmapped 2.5TDI.... the 2.5TDI's don;t normally map very well, certainly compared to the 1.9TDI's (the 130TDI in the quattro being the best for mapping).

I really don't know a lot about this kind of thing, so could be so wrong...but I seem to remember reading that remapping the 1.9TDI quattro wasn't the best idea due to the extra power and 4WD being a little too much for the clutch?

Interesting how you compare the 1.9 and 2.5 though Lostbok, I have always wanted a 2.5 on the assumption that there would be a world of difference, but think I might just stick with the re-mappd 1.9 that I have. Just wish it was a quattro sometimes.

thanks.
cambelt and waterpump was the main thing on the audi tt i had before.

for lower cost, looking at manual and probably non quattro, but at the right price quattro would be a nice to have but loose some mpg's

which one is a good spec, the forum one? £7k is higher than i was looking TBH

open to suggestions but for lower cost banding it looks like the 1.9tdi

will be replacing a KA 1.3, so anything would be better LOL

good mpg would be in mind, so probably no to the 2.5tdi

I take it you're asking about the 1.9TDI quattro in the other post: especially with the quattro's, check there's no "shunting" from the drivetrain as you pull off and see how bad the rust is on the arches to see if it's a treatable and how much it woudl cost to sort out.

Otherwise that looks like a very decent car and factory in the high mileage against how worn the suspension feels and that it's had regular oil changes, etc.

Definitely a good spec to go for unless you're a real power junky, but remapped to 160-bhp easilly, it's a decent mix of less weight and better economy, I'd seriously be considering if I was buying mine again now: I got sucked in by the V6 purr and smoothness compared to the 4-pot 1.9TDI, but the fuel economy difference is significant and the outright pace isn't that different: certainly if you're comparing a remapped 1.9TDI vs an unmapped 2.5TDI.... the 2.5TDI's don;t normally map very well, certainly compared to the 1.9TDI's (the 130TDI in the quattro being the best for mapping).

Good post, but may I ask something.. What is the shunting from the drivetrain? And how can you recognise it?

spotted this:
R A MOTORS (Yorkshire) : AUDI A4 1.9 TDI SPORT AVANT 130BHP 6-SPEED
125k miles AUDI A4 1.9 TDI SPORT AVANT 130BHP 6-SPEED (2004)
£5500
High mileage does put me off some what.

I know it's not avant, but for same money SEAT LEON 1.9 TDi FR 150bhp 6-Speed (2005) 64k miles, half the miles on it

the mileage should not put you off at all its a tdi and bearly run in ;-) the seat is lower but the road noise and insaide will not feel as good as the audi and as you can see will loss money much faster so when its time to sell youed loss a lot more too ;-)

would this passat have the same engine as the above 1.9TDI A4?
Volkswagen : 2005 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT 1.9 S TDI 5dr Diesel Estate

iv found from me owning the audi and my friend owning a pasat although they do have the same engines in most the audi runs better you get a better mpg and a much nicer ride more so on a run mine is far nicer to drive than his plus the new passats are really cheap inside i think very plasticy and nasty but thats how i feel

I have exact experience of this......

so here goes....

I just bought a 54 plate Audi A4 avant sport.....its cost me £580 in 2 months or sorting the few bits out on it and theres still more to do.........don't think it will be perfect and ready to go...

I have had done...

Glow Plugs, alternator clutch pulley, new coolant temperature sender, electronic engine mount, fuel filter, new headlight bulbs as the others are diabolical, front and rear brake discs and pads as the others were shot to pieces.

Still to go...... New wipers, braided brake hoses as the rears are starting to perish and EGR clean and air filter needed.

I also have a Leon Cupra R 2005 plate and the feeling inside the cabin is FAR superior on the audi! But of course it is FAR slower compared to my stage 2 mapped Leon! Ride is a bit different too!

So don't think it won't cost anything or be perfect....luckily the suspension is in OK condition at the mo!

Any other questions fire away!

Rich

I really don't know a lot about this kind of thing, so could be so wrong...but I seem to remember reading that remapping the 1.9TDI quattro wasn't the best idea due to the extra power and 4WD being a little too much for the clutch?

Interesting how you compare the 1.9 and 2.5 though Lostbok, I have always wanted a 2.5 on the assumption that there would be a world of difference, but think I might just stick with the re-mappd 1.9 that I have. Just wish it was a quattro sometimes.

I had my 1.9 Quattro remapped was on a dyno making 138bhp @ 97000 miles not bad for stock, left with 184 bhp and better fuel economy. As long as you drive properly and make sure the clutch is fully engaged before you hoof it will be fine.