Battery Removal - A4 Cabriolet 1.8T

A3 Sport

Reaction score
Hi,

My mums A4 Cabriolet 1.8T's battery needs to be removed, but we're having a bit of trouble. How do you remove it? Ive noticed that there is an extra cable coming off the top of the battery, but can't see how it comes off - it seems to lead to the nearside wing? But this cable seems to lead into the top of the battery, how do I disconnect it?

Just pull it (gently) - its a tube which vents any excess gases to atmosphere

remove plastic trim that covers the battery, then theres 2 allen key/torx head bolts that attach to a metal strur brace type thing, remove those bolts, then using a torx/allen key socket with long extension and ratchet theres a bolt down the side of the battery, the side nearest the engine, its a fidderly job, and a lot of swearing at the car may help, its a tight fit

remove plastic trim that covers the battery, then theres 2 allen key/torx head bolts that attach to a metal strur brace type thing, remove those bolts, then using a torx/allen key socket with long extension and ratchet theres a bolt down the side of the battery, the side nearest the engine, its a fidderly job, and a lot of swearing at the car may help, its a tight fit

Useful bit of info there - I got to redo the wiring on my ICE so this will come in very handy, thank you Scott!

no probs, just remember when you refit the battery youll need to recode the thob to get the car to lock and unlock, with the car running press the button on the thob, turn car of, thob should work, you will need to do both keys

That securing clamp is in a stupid place as you can't get a socket down there due to the brace in the way, i guess Audi garages have extra long Allen keys to do it.
Luckily I found a spade wood drill bit in my tool box that was about a foot long and the chuck end of it was hexagonal ( like an allen key ) and perfect size for the clamp retaining bolt, just used a pair of mole grips on the flat end to turn it, saved unbolting the brace.