Tow hitch

dope

alcoholic pervert
Reaction score
Anyone fitted a tow hitch? Not exactly a performance mod I know… but having just smashed a light while loading the boot with logs I think a tow hitch and trailer is the way to go for me.

(I'm becoming more like my Dad every day)

Nice one. So what's involved? Years ago you could get kits to fit yourself from halfords - guessing it's not that simple any more...

What should I expect to pay?

what area are you?

we usally charge around £185 + vat to supply and fit standard towbar with single electrics

you can buy the parts yourself from the likes of ebay, if your handy with spanners and ok with electric then its do able yourself, as long as you have the right tools and dont mind pulling your car to bits and have a spare day then you'll have no problems, but they are an involved one to, bearing in mind its, bumper off, lower exhaust, remove rear panels in the boot, boot floor covering and rear sub/amp, the reason you need to remove the interior parts is to get to the wiring and gain access to the nuts that hold part of the bumper on

Does sound like a days work for the likes of me. And I'll probably break a few bits in the process.

I'm too far south of you - Wilts/Glos. I'll ask around locally I guess.

Hi, I fitted a detachable towar myself a few months ago to my 2003 (B6) A4 convertible. brought a new one off ebay for £140. it came with easy to follow fitting instructions for the bar and electrics. It took me less than a day to fit. Removing the rear bumper and getting to the bolts around the exhaust system was the trickiest bit but only because Ive never dont one before.
I went for the detachable so to not spoil the look of the car. when the towbar is folded away you cant see it (or the electrics) at all.
The swan neck detaches and is stored in your spare wheel well and the electrics fold neatly under (inside the bumper) totally hidden.
well recommended in my opinion.
Let me know if you need any advice.

Detachable sounds good. I like the idea of not seeing it when I don't need it. £140 sounds good too.

Is it as robust as a fixed one? Are there limits to what you can tow in comparison to a fixed one?

there all designed and manufactured to handle the max towing limit of the car, only dis advantage with the detachable is that you cant have a bike rack on at the same time as towing and if you decide to tow a caravan then you cant fit a stabilizer to it either (you would need the dearer alco hitch option)

but how often do you tow/plan to tow, just that if you where to go for a towsure towbar for example, the neck is held on with just 2 bolts, so not exacly a big job to remove the neck

Mines the Westfalia detachable.... completely hidden when not in use, not cheap though, was £400 fully fitted including an extra 12V socket in the boot, having seen it done, it's not that difficult, but a little unnerving watching the back of the car come off...

removed: slotted in (10secs later):

and views under the bumper:

Mines a westfalia detachable also. Check out eBay at the moment, item no. 290380038587. £160 plus £8 p&p.
Def the best option in my opinion. Fixed towbars are more practical but ugly and spoil the look of the car, especially a convertible.

Last edited:
I fitted mine especialy to tow a family caravan (with alco hitch) but we had our caravan knicked. So now i use it to tow a camping trailer with roof bars fitted for the mountain bikes or roof box. I got best of both worlds now, a convertible with family practicality! I can tow and carry bikes etc.

Last edited:
Been thinking about these for a while. Do you have to butcher the electrics or since the car had a towbar as an optional extra, is the electric pack a plug in job?

not sure about plug in type? mine is a convertible, no plug for towing electrics, not that i know to anyway.
I removed panels in boot (right hand side) then I used a curcuit tester to find each correct wire and then used blue scotchlock connectors (supplied with towbar), so didnt need to cut any wires.

Last edited:
Been thinking about these for a while. Do you have to butcher the electrics or since the car had a towbar as an optional extra, is the electric pack a plug in job?

im pretty sure you can get a dedicated wiring kit, just a case of fitting a lom inbetween the car loom and the rear lights, then earthing and powering up the relay box

Mine has an extra piggy back in the fusebox and extra wiring running the length of the car through to the boot: I checked that was just part of the tow bar electrics and NOT because I asked to get an extra 12V socket in the boot.

I think the Westfalia will fit to conververtibles, but NOT the S4's.