front brake pads

tboy

Reaction score
Hi,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

merry xmas to all, and apologies if this has been covered before. The brake pad wear indicator has popped up on the display and I have a few questions:

1: how much do the dealership charge for this?
2: how much does the average independant charge for this?
3: is it easy for someone of limited mech. knowledge to change the pads themselves, and if so how much to pads cost to buy?
4: how long can you leave it before you get 'em changed (ie: can I wait until after the xmas break?)

Cheers,
Tom.

1. They will charge you for the pads and 1 hours labour.
2. Allot cheaper than dealer.
3. They are easy to change, open the brake fluid lid when carrying out the work, once you fitted the new pads replace the lid and pump the brakes a few times until the pedal becomes solid, then break the pads in by braking hard a few times.
4. I put 4500 miles up on mine before I changed them.

After your indicator goes on you should be good for about another 1000 miles on your pads! Stealer quoted me 150 quid for just replacing and fitting front pads. I got it done from a guy i know and he charged me 90 quid! I think he said the pads were 70 quid and he had it done in 30 mins!

[ QUOTE ]
Frank G said:
1. They will charge you for the pads and 1 hours labour.
2. Allot cheaper than dealer.
3. They are easy to change, open the brake fluid lid when carrying out the work, once you fitted the new pads replace the lid and pump the brakes a few times until the pedal becomes solid, then break the pads in by braking hard a few times.
4. I put 4500 miles up on mine before I changed them.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you know where I can get them from, and which are recommended\best avoided? Is there a step by step guide to changing them to be found anywhere?