mpg

t2myd

Reaction score
:wacko: my cars a a4 tdi 130 6 speed ,problem is its rubbish on fuel 125 miles to £20 ,i know that fuel prices are rising but its been like this for months , the cars performance is great ,plenty of power but never go over speed limit cos wife drives it , what could be the problem ? dodgy fuel filter maybe ,ive replaced air filter with a oem one ,made a bit of a diference. or is 125 to £20 normal in this day and age .my b5 avant was miles beter on fuel

Not bad that fuel calculater .i used to have a 98 a4 tdi avant ,youd think a newer car would be a bit beter than the old afn engine a4

i used to have a 98 a4 tdi avant ,youd think a newer car would be a bit beter than the old afn engine a4
Your doing around 40mpg
also newer cars are a lot heavier and the B6 is heavier than a B5 so that doesnt help .

the 1.9TDi is much the same engine from B5 to B6 and te B6 is heavier... so will use more fuel.

im in agreement with the first poster, i feel my 130 TDI is crap on fuel.

Im all grateful to anyone who has tried to offer input however i maintain that 'the car is heavier' and try calculatiing MPG yourself the Trip computer is not accurate etc etc is nothing to do with it.

I had a mondeo tdci 130 which is a bigger car than the A4 and that used to easily do 54mpg driving normally on a run. I had a 2.5V6TDI automatic for a short period of time and even that could return the same figures as im now getting in my 1.9tdi. One of my previous cars a 2.4JTD alfa with a track remap with no economy in mind managed the same figures. I struggled to get 44mpg today on my return from Bridlington and that was driving at 50-60 like a saint.

With this in mind im not buying the reasons offered so far. There must be a sensor or some fault which is making the economy so poor. Can anyone offer any mechanical or electrical solution that we could explore?

Last edited:
44mpg today on my return from Bridlington and that was driving at 50-60 like a saint.

okay - I would agree that 40mpg (or 44mpg) is poor then.... you should be able to get around 40mpg average if it's a mix of stop-start town traffic and ragging it at 90mph... if I'm driving the engine from warm, I can get 45mpg on a 45-50mph trundle... in a 2.5TDI QUATTRO.

With this in mind im not buying the reasons offered so far. There must be a sensor or some fault which is making the economy so poor. Can anyone offer any mechanical or electrical solution that we could explore?
Then i suggest you get the car diagnostic tested and get all actual values of the sensors measured and check the all fall into tollerence and go from there .

you are right, but to be honest i would rather do what i can to try things first before shelling out for diagnostics only to discover it is something which may be easy to fix myself.

I suspect that is why the person who started this thread asked the question also.

With just about every expense up and no extra pay coming in to cover for it, money isnt growing on many trees at the moment so i only want to have to send it to the garage if it is really necessary. The whole idea of us visiting these forums with these kind of questions is so we can ask for advice from those more knowledgeable than ourselves or that may have had the same issue before. If money was no object im sure most people wouldnt bother asking for advice here and just go and pay Audi or other garages to suggest ideas for them instead, but unfortunately it is :)

Last edited:
Whilst I hear what you're saying, it could be turned around and said why spend good money changing things which aren't faulty, when the investment in a scan might tell you exactly what you need to change?

have to 2nd paul and q james on this one and most places not audi mind will not charge you an arm and leg just to do a scan when i had a problem with my temp i asked on here as you do and there is more than one thing it could have been so it was a good idea to pop to my local and it took them just 20 mins and cost me 25 pounds to no what it was rather than change 2 or 3 parts i did not need. and a load of time under the bonet in this cold weather ;-)

money isnt growing on many trees at the moment so i only want to have to send it to the garage if it is really necessary. The whole idea of us visiting these forums with these kind of questions is so we can ask for advice from those more knowledgeable than ourselves or that may have had the same issue before. If money was no object im sure most people wouldnt bother asking for advice here and just go and pay Audi or other garages to suggest ideas for them instead, but unfortunately it is :)
Money isnt growing on trees but your perfectly willing to shell out money on people who are perfect strangers and basically guessing without even having seen your car (no disrespect to anyone here )
your really contradicting what your saying
cars electronics are far from guess work these days get the values of sensors read and sorted out other wise just put a whole heap of components on, you may even get to the problem eventually .

oh yeah i totally agree however if cleaning out an EGR valve or disconnecting a sensor is going to show a difference surely it is worth a try. I wouldnt go an buy a sensor on someones say so, because as you rightly say it is guesswork, but at least if someone can point us in the right direction its a start

Not bad that fuel calculater .i used to have a 98 a4 tdi avant ,youd think a newer car would be a bit beter than the old afn engine a4
My old AFN engine was much better on fuel than the AVF pd engine but the newer car is heavier and quattro.

I dont see anywhere near factory figures, my A3 03 plate with the same engine - the chip on a run doing 70 m/per hr would do 53 to the gallon, now i know mines got a boot + chip but i was told that the chip helps!!! with MPG as the car boosts earlyer and evens out the delivery.

Any how i recon putting it on vag comp aint gunna get me in the late 40s mpg on a run i dont believe that blocked!!! or out of a linement!! things would alter MPG that much i just believe that some will always perform better than the rest.

Well thats what i believe ha ha...........

My Mpg is slowly getting worse on my car. (1.9TDI 130) Since owning it i got a steady 48, but over the last 3 to 4 tanks its dropped to 42mpg.

The only difference i have noticed is that the heat sometimes drops slightly from 90 degrees.

Is there anything i should be looking at for this? Would cleaning the EGR valve help or replacing the termostat?

Cheers all.

mine would do this and i changed the termostat and the temp sensor job done ;-)

First and foremost, does the temperature guage come up to 90c and stay there? If not, your thermostat is fubar, and that wont be helping your fuel economy.

With that sorted, you need to get yourself a vagcom lead (£10 on ebay) and scan the car for fault codes (or find someone local from the forum with a lead who can scan it for you).

if he is changing the thermostat he may as well change the temp sensor at the same time its under £20 pounds and in the same housing as the stat so would save time and there is a 50 50 chance its is that as well but then thats just me pasing on what iv had to do lol

cheers guys,

the temp is slowly going up to 90, i know its standard to be slow. Sometimes its drops off 90, so i think its slowly on its way out.

I will do both when i get them done.

As for a vagcom, dont think there is a cheap lead for mine on fleebay... when ever i look they never cover the 2002/3 1.9 tdi.

As for a vagcom, dont think there is a cheap lead for mine on fleebay... when ever i look they never cover the 2002/3 1.9 tdi.[/QUOTE]

i have a 52 plate 1.9tdi mate and got mine from there ill have a look and see if i still have the seller and pm you