Help with car radio can it take an Ipod.

holmefield

Reaction score
Hi all, can anybody tell me whether the audi head unit the one with the 6 Disc in dash ( think its the concert 2 model??? ) has a plug in jack in the back???

I've been bought an Ipod connector for crimbo but it needs a lead in to the head unit a bit like plugging head fones in.

I dont want to take the head unit out before knowing whether its got a jack port on the back.

If it doesn't have a jack plug in is there any way i can connect the ipod up using the jack that it comes with..:blink:
Thanks for any advice!!!!!

You need the genuine Audi ipod addaptor to make your headunit recognise a ipod,it uses reads the ipod instead of a cd changer,these are around £70 new and very basic i.e it doesn't give you full ipod control,i had one of these in mine although i had a different head unit to you and that was one of the reasons for changing it for a media system.

Damn thats a shame as the one that the misses has bought me is really nice, i thought that it was just plug and play in the back, why do Audi have to make things so hard???

i had this issue a while back and phoned Audi to see if their iPod adapter kit was compatible, supposedly theyre only compatible with B7 and later, i had to go to dension and get a gateway 100 kit for around £140, i couldnt find any other option, its alot of money but worth it, it plugs into the ISO connector at the back of the unit and has a cable running to a box which can accommodate either just a cable to your iPod/phone or a headphone jack.

Xcarlink will do an adapter, and it will charge it, and have controls on your radio. Thats what i have in mine, however mine is a concert with 6 cd changer in the glove box!

I've got the x-car link adaptor too, and it works great. I still have control of my 6 cd changer as well, not that it gets any use since I got the adaptor. It mutes the music if you get a call, and also overlays sat nav instructions through your speakers as well if you use your iPhone for navigation as I do. There is also an optional Bluetooth module if you need that.

Fitting was easy, just remove the head unit, find a route through to wherever you're installing the unit (I chose the glove box), and then route the cable from the box to your iPod/iPhone.

I had to drill a small hole in the side of the glove box next to the centre console side to route the cable, bu that's about the hardest part. The cable to my iPhone routes out between the lid and centre console, and is the only visible bit of the installation.

Cost was about £80 if I remember correctly, and that included a jack cable so I can attach other devices just using a headphone socket. Can't remember how much the Bluetooth module was, but it wasn't expensive.

I got mine from here;

Audi iPod Interface*::*AUDI*::*XCarLink

The link is the one that fits my head unit/year, so you may need a different one if you've got a different unit/newer vehicle.

Bluetooth module is another £40.

Delivery was next day, so very pleased.