Squeaking Brakes - Help and advice please......

CHRIS555

DOPE with added OCD
Reaction score
Hi - I have fairly new pads and discs all round but I now have an annoying squeal when the brake pedal is applied.

What are the normal symptoms and remedies for this?

It's really beginning to pi*s me off when pulling up at lights followed by this ****** noise!!

Is it more than just salt and crud on the pads?

Did you put plenty of coppaslip on the back of the pads? And are they oem?

I have the same problem with mine as I changed all the pads and discs recently but either the squealing is reducing with use or I'm getting used to it, I didn't fit OEM stuff. The squealing can be caused by many factors including pad material, I think the higher the metallic content the noisier they can be.

But it's nowhere near as bad as when I fitted some fast road spec mintex pads with black diamond grooved and drilled discs to a pug 309 gti I had years ago, no that sounded like a touring car when braking, they didn't last long before I changed the pads back to standard.

Yes, non oem and Mintex!! They are goin in the bin!

Yes, non oem and Mintex!! They are goin in the bin!

Did you get them from Brakes International? as I got mine from there and they were non OEM discs and mintex pads.

Have your front pads got a strange bracket on the outside pad (closest to wheel), I found I had to bend them out slightly so the pad retaining spring could locate under it, as when I first fitted them i found the spring was putting slight pressure on the pad via the bracket and the pad was slightly rubbing on the brake disk after taking your foot off the brake, since I did that the squealing has virtually stopped, infact today I only noticed it once.

I tend to find ferrodo pads are bad for squealing, we used to fit them at work and were getting so many come backs we decided to fit bosch pads, massive difference noticed, fitted oem pads too which seem to be fine most of the time.

I tend to find ferrodo pads are bad for squealing, we used to fit them at work and were getting so many come backs we decided to fit bosch pads, massive difference noticed, fitted oem pads too which seem to be fine most of the time.
See its all strange as we pretty much fit ferodo pads on everything and dont have any back.