Chris NottJMB Retrofits

Thread: iPod adapter

Reverse Gear

Status

iPod adapter

Looking for an iPod adapter for my iPhone 3GS, i want it to charge it as well as play the music. Will this one do the job?

CTAADIPOD003 Audi OEM A2 A3 A4 5th Gen IPOD Adaptor CD on eBay (end time 04-Jan-11 11:23:12 GMT)

Thanks
    Shaun

2. # ADS
    ADS

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Charging on iPhone 3GS and 4G is a lot different to previous iPod's and iPhones and may not work on not compatible kit.

In summary these newer phones do not use the "Firewire" voltage input for charging which was based on a 12v power supply, the connections to these phones no longer exists.
    All charging is now done through the 5v USB signal - BUT for the 3GS & 4G phones additional voltage signals are put on the USB D- and D+ lines to signal to the phone to go into charge mode - and there are also two charge modes based on these additional signals - 500mA charge current which is the normal PC type USB supply or 1000mA (1A) charge current which is normally supplied by the Apple OEM mains adapter.

Your best bet on 100% charge compatibility is to contact this Ebay seller and ask them if there interface charges a 3GS/4G i-Phone.
    The Ebay listing does say there is an adaptor for i-Pod 5th generation and i-Pad.....
    "This kit includes the CTIPOD-CONVERTER allowing you to charge a 5th Generation iPod or the brand new iPad"

I am using the following cigarette charger for my iPhone 4G via a 4G Video/Audio/USB Cable, with the Video & Audio going to my RNS-E multimedia adaptor. I have a hidden under the dash location for the cigarette power supply adaptor. I use the iPhone controls for the i-pod interface. Phone links via OEM Bluetooth for hands free.
    Last edited by Woorlord; 26th December 2010 at 10:06.
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just e-mailed the seller, thanks very much for the response.