LED Running Headlights

shaunmc

Reaction score
Hey,
I like the look of the newer Audi's with the LED running headlights, but as i couldnt afford a newer one, im looking at some of the LED running lights, not the cheap-o stick on ones, the ones that are built into the lights, like these off ebay -

!Busrh!QBWk~$(KGrHqZ,!igEv1+0GV8LBMBYfGVHH!~~_12.JPG

Im struggling to find any descent pictures of them running, ive got a black A4 so it would be nice for some pictures fitted to a black one, but any colour will do.
Anybody know if the headlights are cheap and nasty, or wether they actually look good like on newer Audis

Any advice welcome!

Thanks
Shaun

Hi,

I have an A4 from 1998 and I have these same 'devil eye' headlights as they are called. I had them fitted because I moved to a LHD country and had to change the lights and these were nearly half the price of the standard lights. A garage fitted them and they are looking very nice I have no problems at all. My A4 is silver but they still look good in my opinion (probably look even better on a black A4). I personally have no problems with the quality but I think the genuine standard lights that I took off were better quality. The light they give is nice (I live in Finland now and it's pretty dark here) but I have no front fogs for a while until I have them rewired by an auto electrician. This only happens when your front fogs are parts of the headlight design on the standard lights though.

Hope this helps.

BASS666 fitted a pair recently to his blue B6, hopefully he'll report back soon.

Hi,

I have an A4 from 1998 and I have these same 'devil eye' headlights as they are called. I had them fitted because I moved to a LHD country and had to change the lights and these were nearly half the price of the standard lights. A garage fitted them and they are looking very nice I have no problems at all. My A4 is silver but they still look good in my opinion (probably look even better on a black A4). I personally have no problems with the quality but I think the genuine standard lights that I took off were better quality. The light they give is nice (I live in Finland now and it's pretty dark here) but I have no front fogs for a while until I have them rewired by an auto electrician. This only happens when your front fogs are parts of the headlight design on the standard lights though.

Hope this helps.

Another Brit in Finland eh? Tell me more! I'm in the sprawling metropolis of Kajaani :)

Hi there! yes I'm here in freezing finland, I live in the sprawling metropolis of Tampere though! Drove my A4 quattro all the way here because I couldn't part with it. I must say that the 4 wheel drive is very handy this time of year, especially here.

Not sure any place in finland can qualify as a metropolis but I guess tampere must be a bit close at least. Kajaani is so far north. You must be freezing up there! Not that it is very warm here either though.

damn. so far away. I was hoping you'd be within a couple of hundred km so I could kind of justify "popping out for a bit" for a bit of car chat and a bacon buttie. I also drove my car here because I couldn't part with it (and refused to pay Finnish prices for a LHD quattro). Glasgow tio Harwich, Harwich to Esbjerg, Esbjerg through Copenhagen onto Stockholm, Stockholm to Turku and finally Turku up to Kajaani. Made it on summer tyres just before the snow last November and immediately bought a set of studded Pirellis to put onto my winte rims.
Like you say, quattro is pretty handy at this time of year. You tend to take it for granted and I sometimes only remember when i've left the traffic lights at what I consider a normal rate while a BMW is fishtailing about behind me :)
I take it you didn't pay import taxes on your car either?
cheers
Nj

What!? No car tax! I wish. Nearly 2000 € for me. I said it should have ben considered a moving car as they call it but no, tulli said I had to have owned the cat more than 3 years. Which I hadn't. Still wouldn't part with it though so I payed. It was still cheaper than buying the equivalent here like you said. I assume you had owned yours longer than me.
Did you change your headlights for standard ones in lhd? I tried to find standard here and couldn't get any. They wanted to import a pair from germany for 250 € each, so I went with the after market led ones which were 200 € a pair.

I think you can go back to them and appeal that. See these 2 links. Specifically page 6 of the first document.
http://www.tulli.fi/en/finnish_customs/publications/passengers_removals/passengers/008.pdf
http://www.tulli.fi/en/finnish_customs/publications/motor_vehicles/motor_vehicles/020_2009_en.pdf

The car tax on one taxable private motor vehicle imported by an immigrant in connection
with moving to Finland is reduced by a maximum of 13 450 euros provided that
• the immigrant has been abroad for an uninterrupted period of at least one year immediately before
moving to Finland
• the vehicle has been under the ownership of the immigrant or his married spouse, or in their possession under conditions leading to ownership, and in the use of the immigrant abroad for a period of at least six months immediately before his or her moving to Finland, and,
• if the immigrant has earlier imported a vehicle with reduced tax or free of tax, the time limit after
which that vehicle may be transferred to another person without payment of tax has expired
before his or her moving to Finland.

So as long as you were using the car in the UK for 6 months before moving to Finland and have an insurance certificate to prove it (you could request that from your previous insurer if you don't still have it) and you lived outside Finland for at least 12 months then you shouldn't pay import tax. I owned my car for slightly over a year in the UK but certainly not 3 years.

I bought my LHD OEM headlights from ebay.co.uk for about £150 I think. It was lucky that they were listed by someone that took a car to Britain. I've since added HIDs to them. €250 each is nuts. Was that a garage that was going to order them in for you? I fitted my own and changed my fog light at the back and that was it I think. new plates obviously.

Let me know how you get on with the tax enquiry and feel free to PM me if you want my registration and details so you can show Tulli (that's customs for anyone else reading this) how the application should have been processed.

good luck
nj

Hi. I have some pics but I can't seem to put them in a post. I have them in an album on this forum on my profile page though.

They aren't the best pictures as it was snowing and dark but I hope they are helpful anyway. Let me know if you cannot see them.

Last edited: