1.9Tdi Quattro MPG Average

Funkyfin2000

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
Hi All,

Not long bought a 1.9 Tdi Avant Quattro with 100k on it. Full VAG service history etc etc.

No fault codes on VAG com apart from electric engine mount issue which is being sorted.

Ive had lumpyness issues (only from really cold over night) and I also have the brake warning and 3 lights sometimes come up too. I am thinking it could be new battery needed.

Any how, I was expecting slightly better MPG. On average (even driving like a granny) the highiest I see is 39Mpg. Thats TOP what max! Even on a long motorway journey.

I am yet to do a full logged miles run (which i will do to see how much I get out of a topped up tank)

Is this about right? I notice that the Coolant Temp Sensor is still Black but I get no errors about it.

What do others get? I was expecting possibly 50mpg on a long run....I know the quattro drags it down slightly!

Also - The Trip computer doesn't measure miles it seems like my Cupra R on board computer does!

It only seems to do Average mph, miles left in tank, actual mpg and thats it.....

Cheers all as usual!

Rich

hi rich, I too have a a4 1.9 tdi quattro but in saloon form, I went from a mk4 golf gt tdi doing over 55 mpg easy to my audi which only seems to do 43 mpg best when the weathers good. It does seem to be worse as its been so cold but i am yet to measure it properly. Some owners with v6 diesels on here are getting the same mpg as mine which makes mine and yours look bad.
As for your problems , you might want to get them looked at. Mine was lumpy and hard to start when cold and it had a faulty glow plug and coolant sensor as the temp gauge was erratic.
Regards to your trip computer, i am not sure but i know mine does , average mph, miles left in tank, driving time, average mpg and instant mpg.

I've just trundled 30-odd miles back from Brighton to Surrey: a few blips of 100-odd mph, but mostly 75-80 motorway trundle.... I averaged 39.7mpg for the first stretch, then filled up and took it easy back to my house, mostly 70mph and then 50mph zone.... 43.9mpg, but that was a warmed up engine and despite a fully loaded car, I was taking it very easy.

Mines the 2.5 V6 quattro...

Those 130TDI engines in FWD are silly-stuff: I've driven a 130TDI Sharan where a one tank average of nearly 60mpg (as well as Golfs and Tourans where I've had 45-50mpg averages).

As you noted, the quattro takes a bit out, but with the A4 1.9TDI quattro you shouldn't be ABLE to get a one tank the average below 35mpg (my normal average is a sniff under 35mpg!) and I would expect 40mpg with a bit of pushing it and around 45mpg if you're being semi-sensible (I can average around 40-45mpg on a 70mph-ish motorway trundle).

Trip computer (DIS) activated by the stalk toggle switch does, DTE, ave speed/ave mpg/instant mpg and time. It doesn't do distance, this is done by the odometer.

I think other 1.9q drivers get about 40-45 from what I've read. I'd consider changing the CTS as that will probably effect mpg.

Thanks guys for the replies. Very interesting.

I have to admit I am a petrol head and own a 280bhp Cupra R so driving styles for diesels are very different but I know when the missus takes it (who use to get 60mpg out her 130bhp sport ibiza) gets the same result. 39mpg MAX!

The CTS is Black - no errors on VAG com - but I think I will have it changed just for sanity. I think possibly the lump issues are the battery. It wasn't so cold this morning and its the first time it wasn't so lumpy starting. I got the brake and 3 beeps problem some mornings last week and most people say that points towards battery. Will get my mechanic to check that although i used a tester in the fag lighter over the weekend and that reported battery as fine (but I don't really trust it!!)

Interesting about the DIS.....My Leon does distance travelled and obviously the Audi doesn't, you just have the odometer!

any other thoughts peeps do let me know :)

Mine sees 38 aroung town usually with it dropping to constantly below freezing recently, the MPG has dropped to 35. On a run from Birstol to Birghton, around town and back again, saw 42mpg.

I only ever got 31mpg out of my 1.9 quattro and after a remap it bumped it up to 35mpg used to get 50+ mpg out of my old fwd one, now i'm lucky to get 19mpg :)

I would say your MPG is about correct, bearing in mind you have the avant and it's quattro. My saloon non quattro returns around 44mpg round town and around 53mpg on a run. Those figures dip slightly during this cold weather.
Quattro Tony... you did well there mate with your Golf. I have a 60 plate blue motion that is only seeing 51mpg, although this is mixed driving distances.