how ridiculous is this? £45 for a head light bulb

uS4f

S4 Cabriolet 04
Reaction score
I know the s4 cabriolet i drive is an expensive SOB to run but this takes the ****, my headlight went on saturday so i popped into local car parts shop to get a bulb i managed to take the one out that was fused. when guy at shop saw it he said these are expensive, i did not take much notice thinking ok usual bulb is 50p this will be £5, i said i still need one so he gets one and taps it into counter and says thats £45.... i swear i nearly had a heart attack. the two guys beind me also said what the f*Ck,

anyway i got it and fitted it in i wont be driving the car at night lol

whats the most you have paid for a bulb?

What bulb did you buy eg H7 H1 ?
or do you have factory Zenon which have costly bulbs but still you were robbed blind as you can pick them up cheaper than that as well .

There's a bulb I used to fit to volvo trucks and that was £50+vat!

yes sorry d2s i have just checked on ebay to get a comparison , and they are £16.95 for a pair i thik i was robbed big time , i will have a word with the shop guy on weekend , i wont be going there again if i dont get some money back

yes sorry d2s i have just checked on ebay to get a comparison , and they are £16.95 for a pair i thik i was robbed big time , i will have a word with the shop guy on weekend , i wont be going there again if i dont get some money back

The bulbs youe see on ebay are cheap tat, you can install them but they wont last long at all..plus they rarely give out the lumens they claim to. Being an S4 your car will have HID's as standard and if you have got OEM spec D2S bulb, £45 is a fair price as the suggested factory fit are Phillps - RRP around £90 each!!!

Btw, 8000k if far too high - OEM is 4300k Personelly I'd take the other bulb back under the guise that he sold you the worng bulb (8k) and do a search on ebay for Phillips D2S bulbs :-

PHILIPS D2S 4300K XENON HID BULBS. on eBay (end time 17-Dec-10 14:52:18 GMT)

uSa4 true word's there mate. You got robbed big time.

Hmm...... I think I will be staying away from nightime driving - I may even give up on flashing at grannies now at junctions (no puns, you know what i mean!!)

b**lox, my dipped beam nearside just went, theyre factory xenons, dya think halfrauds would sell em, i gotta trade card which should blunt the blow a bit, are they particularly difficult to fit?

Higgsy - mine went a few weeks ago, but it was NOT the bulb: it was the Xenon control board (ballast).

Here's some warning and a BIG TIP Audi prices are £103 for the bulb and £330 for the ballast. Try swapping the ballasts/bulbs back and forth to see exactly which component has failed, then go and check with PJMSpeedy (PM him on ASN) and see when he can get the parts for: I would go for OEM or OEM equivlant - NOT worth the hassle of eBay "cheapest available", that's rarely the real cost in the longer term.

US4f: OEM should be 4300K, return it to the shop on the basis that it's the wrong one for the car, 8000K is a LOT less usable light than 4300K: plus 8000K is gonna make it look like a chav-chariot!

As above earlier: even for Halogen stuff, 50p bulbs WILL see you changing them every few weeks, £15-ish will get you better quality Osram/Philips kit. Xenons are a different story pricier, again, I wouldn't advise finding the cheapest available - but you can save a LOT by getting an OEM equivalent or sourcing OEM parts elsewhere.