Help - Brake Warning light on DIS

pj123

Reaction score
I'm getting the brake warning symbol on the DIS and 3 beeps on cold mornings when I turn the key and it then goes away. I've checked the fluid level and thats fine and I've scanned the brake module and there are no error codes.

Anyone know what this i could be and what to check next?

Thanks
Paul
Its a 52 plate A4 B6 130 if that makes any difference

I had this after i did some work around the battery area on my a3 and it was the plug that goes into the panel on top of the battery it wasnt pushed in properly. Presuming yours has this i would check the plug and clean it out while your there as it could be dirty contacts it could also be the fuses in the battery panel so check them and clean the contacts on them as well.

It's nothing to worry about. On cold days when the battery has to work hard to start the car it causes a low voltage to be read at the ABS computer and it will flash up a warning. When the weather warms up it will disapear, or when you start the car from warm I doubt it does it?

Worst case it's a very early warning your battery isn't all it could be.

Thanks for both responses. A4 different to the A3 which does indeed have the fuse panel above. Sounds like the battery being on its way out is the answer, quite right it doesn't show the alarm whilst warm. I read somewhere a good battery would be 12.6v, poor 12.2v. Mine is on 12.3 this evening after coming home from work and I'm guessing it'll be lower in the morning when i will probably get the alarm.

GSF the best place for a new battery?

If you have HIDs mine does it whenever its cold and i turn the lights on.

why would a lowish battery on starting cause the low fluid warning light to flash on?

its the level sensor in the fluid reservoir packing up.
same fault, level warning coming on on cranking usually when cold.
get a new reservoir. quite easy to change.
done 2 or 3 over the last few months (most reasently a 1.8t quattro on monday)....... seems to fix it!

When you say the low fluid level warning light, do you mean the small light (also the H'brake light) at the top, or the big red warning on the DIS?
I have the large DIS brake warning light, and three beeps after starting the engine, whether it's hot or cold.
Is that a sign that the battery is on the way out?

check your brake pads aswell, but mine did this the other day when i left the car outside over night, aint done it since, due to the car being parked inside

As mentioned battery was 12.3v last night, before starting today was down to 12.05v. Sounded a bit rough for a few seconds when i started it (maybe poor glow from low battery?) With engine running voltage up at 14.5v so no probs with charging.

My money is on the battery needing replacing not the level sensor. If I'm wrong i looks like i need a new battery soon anyhow.

Anyone know what a good price for a battery is? GSF the best place?

As mentioned battery was 12.3v last night, before starting today was down to 12.05v. Sounded a bit rough for a few seconds when i started it (maybe poor glow from low battery?) With engine running voltage up at 14.5v so no probs with charging.

My money is on the battery needing replacing not the level sensor. If I'm wrong i looks like i need a new battery soon anyhow.

Anyone know what a good price for a battery is? GSF the best place?

It's not really the voltage but the current draw from the battery that indicates its condition, however I'd say its 99% likely to be the battery as well.