battery removal on 3.0 cab

niftyandy

Reaction score
Hi
I have a B6 3.0 Cabriolet with a dead battery and a new one ready to go in but after unfastening
the terminals and pulling them off I'm left with a battery that won't budge at all. it moves, or slides, maybe 5mm left and right but won't seem to move out of its little cubby-hole next to the bulkhead!.....any ideas?...

I notice its maybe held in by a clip at the front but have no idea how to remove it - theres also another one fixed to the bulkhead plate to keep it in place at the back but again cant be accessed.

It must be easier than taking bulkhead assemblies apart...its very tight around there so theres not much room even to see clips and things but i'm obviously missing something here.......

any advice would be appreciated....

cheers
andy

I'm not sure this applies to the cab, but on the other A4's at the front of the battery between that and the bulkhead is a clamp. It's a fiddle and you'll need a long Torx driver to undo it. Once that's undone you should be able to lift the battery out. It's pretty heavy going though!

You may also need to remove the trim section which involves removing the wiper blades. You will know if there is not enough room to get it out. Not had a cab so not 100%

I changed my battery in the week, mines a saloon.
The sponge covered loom that runs across the bulkhead in front of the battery can be pulled up and forward to access the clamp bolt.
I think its a 7mm hex, you will need a long extension, I also held the 2 metal pipes forward to aid access.

Hi
Thanks for all the advice - got it sorted in the end but what a ******* of a job!!! Its been a real thrill today scraping my hands and kneeling on the engine to get at the damn thing at -1.5c all day!!...oh joy!
If anybody needs to do this in the future you'll definately you'll need a long 6mm alun key. The usual standard alun keys aren't long enough so I had to buy a professional set from halfords to get to the lower clamp, which is impossible to see unless you pull off the sponge loom surround first, as has been mentioned.
Anyway running again now so many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Andy

hope you cleaned the bulkhead drains while you were in there.
Glad you got it sorted.

Its a awkward job, from memory when I changed mine. You need a long allen key to undo the bracket that hold the battery in place. Quite easy to do really.