Winter Wheel Choice

CMD

Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
I'm in two mind's on winter wheel's, sould I buy 18's or 19's . The wheel's I will buy will be a replica.

1. 18 or 19 RS6 style

2. 18 or 19 RS4 New style

3. 18 or 19 RS4 Old style

4. 18 or 19 BBS CH Rep's

the smallest size you can fit with the bigest side wall possible,

hence more likely to bounce of kerbs rather than scratch the wheel, plus if you need snow tyres the smaller the size the cheaper they are,

i dont plan on using my car if the weather gets bad enough

the smallest size you can fit with the bigest side wall possible,

hence more likely to bounce of kerbs rather than scratch the wheel, plus if you need snow tyres the smaller the size the cheaper they are,

i dont plan on using my car if the weather gets bad enough

I'm the same Scott I don't use the car alot but I want to take of my 19" BBS LM rep's for the winter as the salt will kill the dished rim's.

Scott makes a good point Colin, do you intend to fit winter tyres at all?

Do you mean new or old style RS6's? Personally I'd plump for the latter as they are far easier to clean than the new style RS4 or RS6 wheels, and also the older RS4 wheels to a certain extent. I can clean mine with a sponge and wheel brush properly everytime in seconds.

That said, BBS CH are possibly one of my favourite wheels ever, so it's hard to discourage you getting them, other than they're 'only' winter wheels....

or what ever is going cheap on ebay lol,

but im the same as you, the rs4 wheels thats on mine are being changed for my polished rs6 wheels in march, in time for the show season

Old style RS6. I'm not going to fit a winter tyre as such. I use the Polo for work. I'm watching a few on ebay some with tyre's some without. I also like the CH's as they are a multi spoke which is my favorite type of wheel.

if the price is right then go for the CH's for winter wheels i would like the 18inch B6 S4 Avus rims, nice and subtle and also easy to clean, anything will do though seeing as they are winter rims as our cars are not used much through winter.

Id go for a set of RS6 reps off your local Gumtree perhaps or a set of 17" Sports...

I had a spare set of boleros in the garage, so i've given them a quick blast with paint to freshen them up a bit and have some Dunlop Wintersport 3D's on their way. Our cars used daily, and often with the missus driving, so i want to maximise the chances of her getting to work and back safely each day.

Had i been buying them specifically as winters, i'd have gone as small as will fit over the brakes (probably 16") and as narrow as possible, allowing the use of a narrower winter tyre for better traction.

I could not bring myself to run steelies.

Your just worried about someone nicking the wheel trims, don't be, thats what the cable ties are for!! ;)

PS. RS6 C5 Replicas

What is the biggest steelies we can fit over our brakes on our cars CMD?

I am liking the idea of running steelies over winter. could be tempted to get some banded ones for summer.... ooo the thoughts!

obviously this is me, and i have learnt my lesson about making sure all tyres are bang on the same size on my quattro now! .... wonder if 16" will fit... mmm

Well i need to find myself some 16" steelies and paint them bright orange or yellow then get some snow tyres on them

God i hope it snows a lot this winter!

I have a set of these which are in very good condition, all tyres are good - some new. I've not advertised them yet but was going to soon if anyone is interested? Would make good winter wheels.

wheels.jpg

he's right you know. they do make good winter wellies :) as far as I know 16s are the smallest you'll get on over standard brakes too. depends how "wintery" you're expecting your winter to be.
P1070405.jpg

you have all got me thinking about getting some winter wheels now. but im thinking i as i have just 17/235/45 i maybe ok plus we dont get to much snow max i think 2weeks last year any way are you all fitting them with the studed tyers or just good tyers

I think Noel is the only one of us who can get away with studded tyres mate! A decent set of winter tyres will be fine if you decide to go down that route.

My hunt for winter rim's might be over sooon. I have to stick with 19's as i have set my heart on Old Style RS4's.. I don't use the car much but I don't want my LM Rep's damaged by the gritted road's . I'm trying to curb my wheel addiction I promise lol....... sssHHsshh until the summer.

What wheels you planning for the better weather then eh?!

old rs4's / rs6's in 19" would look great coll ;)

Got my original s-lines still here at the moment too fella..

Cheers. I'm looking to have them next week as you know they are salting the road's here in S Wales already. I'm glad i take the polo to work. The LM'S will be put away untill the spring..... And then maybe a ne ...> c$.[ . lp O,... \ 4_*** jjs Sorry my keypad went funny then.. LOL
I can't say much more.

Finally had a bit of spare time to mount the winter wheel's 19x8 Old Style Rs4

Sweet mate, looks very good for winter wheels! Are they genuine wheels? If so will you be selling them on?

Thank's Chris. Na the wheel's are a Replica and were hard to find I found load's of 18's on all the major site's I will keep these as a winter wheel. I have promised the wife this is the last set of wheel's I will buy.. (Give's me 4 month's to save) lol

Thank's Chris. Na the wheel's are a Replica and were hard to find I found load's of 18's on all the major site's I will keep these as a winter wheel. I have promised the wife this is the last set of wheel's I will buy.. (Give's me 4 month's to save) lol

Ball and chain - ball and chain ;)

PS. Incase I forget or don't get chance to say so, happy christmas to you and your family!

Many Thank's Chris. Merry Christmas to you and your family also.

They look good Colin, always been one of my favourite Audi wheels - I've not seen them in 19's before I don't think.

Oh well... great wheels, but any 18/19's will leave you with a lot less choice for winter tyres... more choice with 17" and LOADS of choice with 16".

For anybody else catching up on this thread: there are some 312mm braked B6 A4 (e.g. Quattro V6 TDI's) where some came with 16" alloys as OEM spec, so that's proabbly a fair guideline of what you can definitely go down to: I've got the original 16" "Sport" alloys with Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme's and then Avus III S4 18" alloys (with Toyo T1-R's) for summer :)

They look good Colin, always been one of my favourite Audi wheels - I've not seen them in 19's before I don't think.

Yes i set my hart on 19's after seeing another b6 at AITP in Aug with a set, so I have been looking since then.

Oh well... great wheels, but any 18/19's will leave you with a lot less choice for winter tyres... more choice with 17" and LOADS of choice with 16".

For anybody else catching up on this thread: there are some 312mm braked B6 A4 (e.g. Quattro V6 TDI's) where some came with 16" alloys as OEM spec, so that's proabbly a fair guideline of what you can definitely go down to: I've got the original 16" "Sport" alloys with Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme's and then Avus III S4 18" alloys (with Toyo T1-R's) for summer :)

I hear what you are saying but the car get's very little use. I just did'nt want to run the LM rep's through the winter month's