Wheel Spacers - Are they dangerous?!

CHRIS555

DOPE with added OCD
Reaction score
I read in last months Redline that wheel spacers are dangerous (or so they say).

I have never used them but have been considering doing so - what feedback and advise can people offer?

The proper hubcentric ones i wouldnt say are dangerous. Porsche even used to fit them to production cars in the past.

The type which are more like a flat shim can be dodgy, as they can stop the wheel locating securely on the hub.

What evidence did Redline offer as to why they were dangerous?

I have 5mm on the front and to be honest i'm undicided, they look better as the fill the arch a little more, but i do feel that with the wider track they follow any divert in the road a bit more but also find my car very sensitive to even a psi or two difference in the tyres hence checked at least twice a week, when all running at the same it handles fine, i will be putting 10mm's on the rear when i get hold of some but may remove them if we get snow.

Hubcentrics are fine as are standard shim ones as long as they leave spiggot useable for the wheels to mount on
also remember longer bolts of good quality ,
and as already said porsche have used them on various models from new in the past last ones i saw on a 928 S2 and thats a heavy car with some decent power .

Thank you gentlemen! I think the coments about the snow and Porsches are spot on so thank you. I'm definately going to get some and definately with the best possible "long" bolts I can get.

Does anyone know if I can replace my locking wheel nuts with longer ones?

Chris i have run spacer's for ages without any problem's. Buy the best you can afford.

I hope they are not dangerous i have some to fit to mine. I think the main thing is to get hubcentric and longer bolts. Nailing 10mm spacers on without longer bolts is asking for trouble tbh

I've never had a problem i've bought them + as an engineer i've made my own, upto 15mm wide on the back NOT HUB-CENTRIC are fine 8mm max front, above both of these sizes you'll need to go Hub-centric + longer wheel bolts you'll need about 6/7 full turns on the treads...

I had a set on a mk2 golf i had a while back and i was told that anything more than 10mm will put quite a strain on the bearings??

ive had the same thing from mini lads who've put 10-15mm spacers on their minilites, and lets face it, minilites are tiny!

What are the best brand spacers to buy? I'm tempted to keep my S4 alloys now but want to widen the stance, perhaps 10mm wider each corner?

What are the best brand spacers to buy? I'm tempted to keep my S4 alloys now but want to widen the stance, perhaps 10mm wider each corner?

I've recently bought some H&R spacers for my S4. Gone for 15mm for the rear and 8mm for the front. Haven't had a chance to put them on yet as I have had a bad back, But I'll hopefully be putting them on tomorrow. If so I'll take some pics

A friend of mine did have a wheel come off his land rover with some spacers on but they were the ones you bolt to the hub and then bolt the wheel to the spacer so those ones I'd say are dangerous, but land rovers do have a tendency to shake wheel nuts loose, I was forever re torquing them when I had mine

I had 16mm hubcentrics all round on my TT for years with no probs

It will affect your ride slightly: if you keep the springs and shocks the same, you might notice a bit more "bounce" depending on how much you space-out. You'll be able to generate more cornering force due to wider track

And it'll look phat :rock:

Thanks guys for all the advise and opinions.

I'll definately be getting some!