Cheap Mods

will89

Reaction score
I am a bit skint at the moment so was looking for some 'cheap' but useful/cheerful mods that i can do.

Any ideas?

A set of Euro Number plates £20. Paint the top and lower grill's Satin Black £10.

Painting Calipers - I was going to do this but thing i might wait until the spring
Ambient Lighting - How much are these?
Euro Plates - Allready have german pressed plates
Grill's - I am thinking of doing this, but will the primer stick to the chrome??

iyrix will like this one, put mudflaps on.

I haven't looked up the price of these yet but was thinking of this especially for the winter with all the grit and salt on the roads!

With the grill's you rub down the chrome then Primer then top coat

Painted grill's
IMG_2335.jpg

Its not cheap, but once you have got it, it goes along way and saves SO much elbow grease......'ESP Primer'. No sanding or keying up. Wipe on with a rag and leave for a couple of hours and your ready...really as simple as that. Ideal for high gloss surfaces etc. Its about £25 a litre OUCH! but i tried a little the other day on a boot chrome trim and was very impressed!

Any particular primer that you used? and did you use a lacquer?

No lacquer needed unless you want a Gloss like finnish. I used plastic primer after the chrome was rubed down 2xcoat's a lite rub down and and a few final top coat's of Satin Black. Mine have been on since March/April with no problems.

How easy is it to remove the bottom grill? I may give this a go tomorrow

How easy is it to remove the bottom grill? I may give this a go tomorrow

Pull it out from the top of the grill working your way to the bottom. You can also push it out by opening the bonnet and push it out from behind the bumper, it's easy.

LED tail number plate lights!

This is also something i was going to do, although i have tried to get the things out and cant get a screwdriver in there enough to unscrew them

The ambient lights are £10 for the led unit from the dealers and you can adapt your interior lights by removing them and drilling 2 7 mm holes where the bulls fit. The light unit already has the connections there. There's a good guide on here on how to do it.

Surely it doesn't matter whether you're buying B7 LEDs to retro fit to a B6 or buying an R8 leather interior to cut into pieces and fashion into a gimp suit? If you ask for an item by part number they should sell it to you.

i cant see why they would ask in the first place like you say wtf has it got to do with them if they ask thet then all id say is ummmm i want it you sell it so do what your ment to and go get it ;-)

When phoned to check if they had it in stock they asked for reg and vin and said my car didn't have the ambient lighting as an option so why did I need the led unit. Iv heard a few other people say the same about dealers

just say its for some ones car and you dont have the reg with you and as you give them the part number they can still get the part.
although i still find it funny if you call them give them the part number why they then ask for a reg as they dont need it

there shouldn't be a need to fabricate a story. if they ask you can quite openly say you're fitting to a B6 or to a volvo for that matter. If it's not under audi warranty then you're just buying a part from them and they don't even need to know what you intend to do with it. And I don't mean you need to be cheeky. It's easy enough to say pleasantly that you're modifying your car to make it work. Quite often the parts guy knows very little about the cars, just what the computer tells him. And anyone who isn't into modifying cars just won't get it anyway :)

mine said the same about my s2 but she loves the B6 avant. even more so with a loud Milltek. she's been amazingly forgiving recently and I hope retro fitting heated seats will go down well :)

At least yours sounds nice my wife refers to mine as "the tractor" with it being a TDI. She is forgiving seen as last week I put £30 of vpower petrol in instead of diesel big mistake she didn't speak to me for 3 days

At least yours sounds nice my wife refers to mine as "the tractor" with it being a TDI. She is forgiving seen as last week I put £30 of vpower petrol in instead of diesel big mistake she didn't speak to me for 3 days

:banghead::laugh: