Rear wiper has a mind of it's own! - A4/S4 Avant

S3 Wannabe

Reaction score
Hi guys and galls,

My rear wiper appears to have developed a mind of it's own recently working whenever it likes. It will work when I need it to but never actually seems to be switched off. Is this a motor issues or is their some sort of controller for the motor which has seen better days???

Any ideas welcome!

my mums went like this it was the seal inside the motor that went allowing water to get into the motor making it go mad. i tryed to get a seal but they dont sell them so i got a new motor instead.

Inside the motor there is a round copper disc. I cleaned mine as it was blackened where the contacts ran. I think i might have added some switch grease/lubricant. Has worked great for the last 5 years!

cheers gents, I'll try cleaning it then. how much would new motor set me back if required???

Often the rear wash pipe splits where the tailgate hinges and leaks fluid into the motor causing to have a mind of its own!

Mine did the same, the spindle passes water through it to the sprayer, this corrodes and water then leaks into the wiper motor mech. This causes your erratic wiper problem. A friend of mine soldered a small brass pipe into the spindle and his has worked fine for the last 2 years. Unfortunately my wiper arm refuses to part itself from the spindle leaving me the only option of cutting the spindle to get it off.

Hope this helps

Undo the star drive bolts on the wiper motor mech and see if you have water in there.

wiper motor from Audi £83 weli that was what Audi Bath charged me I had to cut the arm off and Audi kindly popped the spindle out as it was corrid to badly you can invest in a wiper arm puller I did place a post on here regarding the same issue

When I replaced the arm on spindle I put some copper grease on so if I ever have to remove it wont be so hard.

Hope this helps

Paul.

mine decided to start playing up last night, theres still water coming out of the rear washer jet, but not at much force, so its of to the unit shortly to look for the problem/cause

well like ppl have said, getting the trim of was the hardest part, once i removed the trim, the motor was leaking water!

removed the motor/gear mechanism cover to find water in there and the grease all brown.

so of to audi tomorrow for new motor.