Chris NottBadger5
    1st Gear

Status

It all seems to happen at once ... shake me baby!!!

Well after my issues with heaters and wipers my car is doing some funky clunks.

On full lock at slow speed (out of a parking space etc) it seems to clunk and shake with the clunksand almost jerk! its a strange feeling.

Also i noticed if taking a corner at a rather fruity speed it shakes through the steering rack a bit.

It's a Quattro by the way. Any ideas?

Cheers all.
    2004 A4 Quattro 190 S-Line - Akoya Silver, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Full interior lighting pack. - Now sold... Gutted miss is already!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

Status
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    wheel balanced ? Track Rod Ends ? Steering rack? (i have one in my workshop for sale) or lose wheel bolts ?

BMW aye right dead on..

Status
    is it your cv joint clicking ?
    2002 1.9 tdi 130ish brake a4. full reiger body kit, 19 inch rs6 avant rims, eibach springs, home made grill, full leather interior, centre arm rest, quad powerflow exausts, a few engine mods, chrome door mirrors, aero wipers, s line door blades.

4th Gear

Status
    do circles on full lock to see if you hear noise from the CVs clicking

1st Gear

Status
    it's more than a clicking, its a definate clunk. it is as though the wheel nuts are loose. I may have to actually check them!!... its minus 2 outside. but i am off to have a look....
    2004 A4 Quattro 190 S-Line - Akoya Silver, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Full interior lighting pack. - Now sold... Gutted miss is already!

BMW aye right dead on..

Status
    if your cv joint is really fcuked it will make all sorts of noises..
    2002 1.9 tdi 130ish brake a4. full reiger body kit, 19 inch rs6 avant rims, eibach springs, home made grill, full leather interior, centre arm rest, quad powerflow exausts, a few engine mods, chrome door mirrors, aero wipers, s line door blades.

1st Gear

Status
    Well i checked my wheel nuts, all tight.

How do i go about checking a CV joint then?

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    If you drive in a circle on full lock in a large car park then the CV joint will be ticking/knocking if it's knackered.

Be aware that quattro cars do have a certain amount of tyre scrub anyway, which in my experience increases as the tyres wear down. But if the tracking/alignment is out it will also have an adverse effect on this.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

1st Gear

Status
    went to check tyres on my lunch, no time to drive around in circles though. and the depths are the same on tyres (about half worn) however i noticed the prior owner has put 245/40/18 on rear and 235/40/18 on front. will this cause issues?

cheers for everyones help.

1st Gear

Status
    Different size tyres on a quattro is a big no. This will have caused you strain on the entire drive train, diffs, gearbox, cv joints.

Your tyre circumferences are 2.052m and 2.027m. For every completion revolution of a wheel one set of tyres has tried to go 2.5cm further (or 1.2%).

Any idea how long the tyre have been different?

Paul

Status

My Social Networking

Yeh I'll second that. I'd get the tyres changed to equal sizes asap and go from there.

Has it made this noise since you go the car? Or got worse? And over what sort of timescale?

1st Gear

Status
    Right cheers guys will get them changed ASAP. glad i looked. It's got progressivley worse i reckon over time. they will of been on the car for 6 months maybe.... sheeeeeeeeet!

Anyone recommened a decent set of tyres?

Cheers again

Status

My Social Networking

Everyone will give you a different answer..... I'm quite happy with my Continental Sport Contact 3's.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    Everyone will give you a different answer..... I'm quite happy with my Continental Sport Contact 3's.
    Nice tyres, I have ordered 4 Avon ZZ3's going on on Monday.

Hope i have done no serious damage!

Cheers for all you guys help on the matter. at a guess its done 2,500 miles on the odd tyres

Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

Status
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    Im currently changing over to the contact 3's too right now, they are a fine tyre to have on, grip very well,

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    DOES IT CLUNK WHEN YOU LET YOUR FOOT OFF THE ACCELERATOR AT LOW SPEED, Sorry for shouting but i had typed all this before looking up and probably should have started again now looking at how much extra ive had to type! DO!

Anyway antiroll bars are a known source of clunking/knocking at low speeds and they do it out of time with the suspension moving up and down. Maybe worth having a look at the drop links.

On mine the paint/coating on the roll bar has dissapeared where they contact with the bushes and has a gap betwen the bar and bush this is allowing excess movement and a knocking noise. Time for new ones.
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade