Clocks

rob irl tdi

Reaction score
When I put the key in the ignition I have illuminated needles , but should the dials light up white too without putting on my light switch?

No Rob its like the illuminated needles mod on the mk4 golf except the B6 needles are illuminated once the ignition is turned on as standard.

I know that Shane, but mark 1990 was up in his new sport last night and when I was in his car the dials lit up with the key in the ignition. It done this when the interior light was on in the dark. The clocks dim itsself then when the light was turned off

i maybe wrong here but i think the small dome thing on the dash by the windscreen is a light sensor and when it gets dark your clock lights should come on.

Can be changed with Instrument Coding via VAG-COM........
(By default mine had red needles on and only the scale when the lights were on - changed mine to Needles and Scale on with ignition.)

Control Module Adaptation >> Select 17 (Instrument Cluster)
Adaptation >> Function 10 >> Channel 19

?xxxx: Illumination Option

0 - Needle and Scale only active at 'Light on"

1 - Needle already active at 'Ignition on'
2 - Scale already active at 'Ignition on'
3 - Scale (2. Map) and Needle at 'ignition on' active

x?xxx: Board Computer

0 - only Level 2 (long time memory)
1 - Level 1 and 2
xx?xx: Driver Information System (DIS)

0 - DIS 1
1 - Highline without DIS
2 - DIS 2
xxx?x: Ambient Temperature

0 - no Display, Illumination inactive
1 - Display and Illumination active

xxxx?: Remote Clock (Germany only)

0 - Remote Clock not active
1 - Remote Clock active

Last edited:
i maybe wrong here but i think the small dome thing on the dash by the windscreen is a light sensor and when it gets dark your clock lights should come on.

That is a light sensor as you say but only works for instrument illumination that is already on - for instance it will change the backlight of the RNS-E screen and also the A/C unit numbers etc. When I had my Snooper Radar detector over the sensor there was no change in illumination levels on the RNS-E or A/C!! Moved it slightly to the right now.

I don't think i've ever noticed a change in illumination of my instrument panel at all, unless I manually do it.

And woorlord, your vag-com code snippets are doing nothing for my wallet-saving attempts at not buying the full VCDS. I have a cheapo cable, but really considering the full VCDS. Do they have adecent resale value sahould I sell the A4 for a non-compatible car?

Thats the answer woorlord.

But what does no 3 Scale (2.map) do over no 2??

I'll have to check all my coding later. I might have changed something when I did the DIS retro a couple of months ago

Just had a look at that channel

My coding is 31010

Thats the answer woorlord.

But what does no 3 Scale (2.map) do over no 2??
2=Scale illumination at IGTN on
3=Scale & Needle illumination at IGTN on

Just had a look at that channel

My coding is 31010

Checked mine and it's 31000 - but I still get outside temperature displayed in the DIS.

.....And woorlord, your vag-com code snippets are doing nothing for my wallet-saving attempts at not buying the full VCDS. I have a cheapo cable, but really considering the full VCDS. Do they have adecent resale value sahould I sell the A4 for a non-compatible car?

You would consider not buying another Audi - Emmmm?!!!
As long as you buy Skoda/Seat/Bentley/VW/Lambourgini or another Audi it will be good.

Worth every penny the Ross-Tech VCDS - just make sure you get an original Ross-Tech USB cable version with HEX-USB-CAN.
Look at Ebay and see what the re-sale values are like as a guide for re-selling.

Last edited:
Don't worry Woorlord, I have no real intentions of buying anything but an Audi, but on the off chance I stray away it will be a VAG car (most likely a Bentley I think). The bro & father in law's both have octavia's, so I'm sure there will be plenty of use for the VCDS. Plus I have other mates with VAG cars, may have to charge a fiver per scan to try recoup a bit of the outlay, ha.

I am in the process of ordering it through NHN, so hopefully have it soonish, yay! I can't wait.

If you cover the speedo on right hand side the backlights should dim down if your 'light' are off

I would like the instruments to light, as well as the needles, on ignition turn on. So, went into VCDS, read the code in mine, and it was already 31000.
So, the instruments should light up with the ignition. BUT - they don't:mad:

What can I do to make them come on with the ignition, please??

All help gratefully received!:yes:

My needles and dial backlights come on with ignition, but when it is/goes dark the dial backlights go dim/off until the lights are switched on, suppose its a safety feature as i see loads of cars driving around as it gets dark with no lights on because their dials are lit up so they forget about switching headlights on.

Thanks for that - Steve_N. If you have VCDS, do you know what your code is? Is it 31000?
Many thanks.