gav

S6 vvv
Reaction score
ANY IDEAS ???
1.9 130 TDI
130000 MILES
FASH
2 OWNERS

ALTERNATOR PULLEY JAMMED ...COMMON PROBLEM BELIEVE IT OR NOT....AUXILLARY BELT COMES OFF AND ENTERS CAM BELT CASING, RAPS ROUND PULLEYS AND CAM BELT JUMPS FOUR TEETH. EVERYTHING SORTED,TENSIONERS, BELTS ETC. NOW IM NO EXPERT BUT I CAN HEAR A CHANGE IN THE ENGINE AND THINK THAT I WASNT AS LUCKY AS FIRST THOUGHT !!! NOW IF IVE CLIPPED A VALVE WHAT IS MY OPTIONS, DO I STRIP THE HEAD AND RENEW EVERYTHING,OR LET IT GO AND HOPE ITS GOING TO BE OK , OR SOURCE A NEW ENGINE.
ANY HELP WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

THANKS IN ADVANCE :anbet:

pull the head and check/replace the bent valves and all the stem seals if high mileage...

do a compression test to see if you have bent any valves if you have just replace them its the cheapest option. you will need to check the pistons too. how your aux belt got into the timing area i will never know i have never seen this in 26 years of being a mechanic. the car should be running like **** if you have bent valves so you might have got away with it.

Thanks for the quick answers...so if i take the head off and sort any valves should i replace any piston rings when im in there considering its got 130,000 on the clock ? just like to add that the engine sounds a bit rougher but it is a diesel and apart from that it runs fine, maybe a bit more vibration on engine but only slight thats the reason i think ive clipped a valve.

to change the rings you need to take the sump off and the head. honestly i would get a compression test done and if its ok i would have the valve timing checked again hence the engine running rough and vibrating. you dont need your rings changed because of the mileage a pd engine is bullit proof. if you have bent valves change them and your valve stem oil seals and get a top end gasket set also. i still cant work out how your aux belt got into your timing belt cause your t belt is inclosed in casings.

Leave the rings in place, they barely run-in at that "low" mileage. The Tdi engines are interference type and as such they will bend valves if the timing belt slipps. You can take the cam off and check the lifters- if any valve is bent it will be lower than the rest. Replace the lifters while at that. A leak down test will give much better results...

Bass 666, I know what your saying, the mechanic, who works out of vw , says this happens quite a lot... hes done three in the last year with the same thing happening, he even went on to say that it should be included in the service..ie, alternator pulley replaced at certain intervals but audi dont think its a problem. When you think of the problems this has caused never mind the cost, for £20 extra at cambelt service its shocking. Any way thanks to all concerned, i will be getting a compression test done ASP then take it from there. Regards

i know the pully is a problem i had mine done, but i cant understand how an aux belt can break and get into the cam belt on a 1.9 tdi engine.